At Comely Bank Publishing (a co-operative publishing organisation) I advised on the suitability of submissions for publication to CBP. I added appropriate content to the CBP website, managed its social media platforms, wrote and distributed the newsletter, and suggested and recommended new directions for CBP. In addition, I provided a manuscripts advisory service for new authors, and I edited and proof-read CBP submissions.
I have more than 20 years of experience working in communication roles. My career so far has covered journalism, public relations, contract publishing, PR management and freelance writing. The skills I have include excellent time management and organisational abilities, prize-winning writing and editorial capability.
I worked for seven years in contract publishing, where I wrote, edited and proofread newsletters, magazines and websites for big corporates, including several health boards and non-profits. I prepared unique style guides for clients so that I could ensure my writing and proofreading reflected their individual writing requirements.
I have offered feedback on books for many people, and I am keen to help others improve their writing. If you have valuable information to share, it’s vital that what you write conveys what you want to say. I have also published two novels myself, including one romance/comedy, and a self-help book on diabetes and diet.
My job was to raise the profile of The Princess Royal Trust for Carers in Scotland and to promote awareness of carers’ issues through effective PR strategies. I supported colleagues, a network of 29 Carers’ Centres and carers in their dealings with the media.
• I was responsible for developing and implementing a communications strategy for the fundraising, operations and policy work of the Scotland team, in support of the Trust’s strategic objectives
• I was responsible for managing responses to the media regarding carers’ issues, The Princess Royal Trust for Carers and the network of Carers' Centres in Scotland
• I produced written materials including briefings, articles, news releases and editorial
• I was responsible for new technology opportunities, such as the use of online social networking, podcasts and virtual meetings. I also created digital stories through filming case studies and editing the material
• I led the development and implementation in Scotland of a strategy for information management about carers’ issues and activities within the Trust and its network of Carers’ Centres, working in consultation with all key stakeholders
• I collaborated with the Operations and Fundraising teams in Scotland to identify and develop PR opportunities at the earliest possible stage. I created PR strategies to support all fundraising and operations activities in Scotland, where appropriate
• I provided advice and expertise to enable Carers’ Centres to maximise local and national publicity for new initiatives, fundraising successes, Royal visits and other activities
In this role, I project managed magazines, newsletters and e-newsletters on behalf of clients – some them prize-winning – as well as writing and uploading daily articles for a law news website and writing copy for all of Connect Communications’ other publications.
• I oversaw the production of magazines/newsletters and e-newsletters from start to finish
• I delegated work to the company's other writers, worked with designers to ensure the finished product met their expectations and contracted out work to external photographers and printers
• I collaborated in the preparation of pitches to new clients, and I provided a communications advisory service for our customers.
In this role, I edited and wrote the prize-winning internal monthly newspaper Upbeat, and external quarterly newspaper, The Leader. I provided a full writing and advisory service for police staff; liaised with authors and external agencies; supervised the work of the publications assistant and departmental photographer; and reviewed all corporate publications periodically.
This is not a "rule book" that you have to follow word for word. Instead, it is a map that offers several guide-posts, side-roads, overpasses and bridges -- all heading toward self-fulfillment. Most of my source material was written in the early 1900s, but the content, lessons, and dynamics are as up-to-date now as they were when they were first written. The suggestions in this book can help y... read more
“Assuring you of our best attention at all times” has been the watchword at Murrays department store of distinction for a hundred years.The story begins in 1975 as the Edinburgh store, which remains in the private ownership of the Murray family, celebrates its centenary. It is the preoccupation of its current Director, Miss Margaret Murray, to maintain standards yet move the creaking edifice i... read more
“Assuring you of our best attention at all times” has been the watchword at Murrays department store of distinction for more than a hundred years. Despite a changing retail world it still strives to fulfil this commitment.The store itself remains a beautiful, inconvenient and theatrical place. Murrays is largely defined by its staff and customers: their dramas, comedies and tragedies large and... read more
Set in the immediate aftermath of the First World War, Erl Wilkie’s ‘IN THE SHADOW OF THE GATHERING STORM’ is a work of Scottish historical fiction.Johann Schettler, a petty officer in the German Navy, is imprisoned for his part in the mutiny of sailors who refuse to fight for a lost cause after the end of World War One. Revolution follows, with the sailors and workers of Kiel rising up agains... read more
A normal weekend in 21st Century urban Britain: binge-drinking, pill-popping, football, sex, loneliness, Sunday roasts, violence, hurt, boredom, love, redemption. All under the encroaching shadow of Monday morning. Weekender follows various Edinburgh residents over the course of one weekend and ten very different tales, moving from one character to the next as their paths cross. Not too short,... read more
There are now more people collectively across the world who are suffering from being fat than from not having enough food to eat. Easy access to unlimited amounts of food and few reasons to be active in your day to day life can result in major health problems, which will affect your quality of life. This is a guide to the steps you should take to safely and quickly lose extra weight – from pre... read more
What do you do when you find yourself in a strange body and a different life? The Girl Who Swapped is about to fill you in…Lottie and Charlotte are not having a good morning. They’ve woken up in unfamiliar beds. Not to mention, unfamiliar bodies. What is going on?At least Lottie’s boyfriend, Josh, is by her side. If only Lottie didn’t have this nagging feeling that something important happened... read more
Ever wondered what you would do with magical powers? Katie and the Deelans is the thrilling adventure story of Katie Harper and her friends, teenagers who’ve been sent to what seems to be the worst school in the world.When they are offered magic lessons, life becomes so much more exciting. Taught by the fabulous Miss D'Azzler and the enigmatic Jazz, Katie and her friends find out that they can... read more
THE DIABETES DIET: HOW TO MANAGE YOUR DIET FOR WEIGHT LOSS AND INCREDIBLE BLOOD SUGAR CONTROL explores what people affected with type one diabetes and type two diabetes, pre-diabetes and obesity need to do to get mastery over their blood sugar control, metabolism and weight. The scientific reasoning behind the low carbohydrate dietary approach is fully referenced and made easy by menu plans an... read more
Reedsy is a community of top publishing professionals. Join Reedsy today to browse 1000+ profiles.