Freelance Writer, Editor, Author, New York, NY, 2003 to present
● Freelance food and lifestyle writer. Credits: The New York Times, NPR, New York Daily News, Interior Design, Travel + Leisure, Saveur, Food Network, Publishers Weekly, Huffington Post, AOL Travel, TIME for Kids, Edible East End and Edible Brooklyn. (2005 to present)
● Contributor, Food Network. Write culinary travel and recipe how-to’s on various dishes, from potatoes to ice cream. (2014)
● Contributor, Publishers Weekly. Cover cookbooks for leading publishing trade publication.
● Contributor, Tastebook.com. Write food stories for Penguin-Random House food site.
● Contributor, Interior Design. Cover restaurant and hotel design for leading shelter magazine. (2012 to present)
● Contributor, NPR Kitchen Window. Wrote recipe-based food columns for NPR food site, which is no longer live. (2013 to 2014)
● Editor, Return to the Rivers by Chef Vikas Khanna (Lake Isle Press, 2013). Line edited all headnotes and text for cookbook on Himalayan cuisine. (2013)
● Author, Ice Cream: A Global History (Reaktion Books/University of Chicago Press, 2011)
● Editor, Zagat Long Island Restaurants. (2009-10; 2010-11)
Adjunct Professor, New York University, Arthur L. Carter Journalism Institute, New York, NY, 2008 to 2011
● Taught news and feature writing to undergraduate journalism majors. (2010-11)
● Conducted department-wide assessment of undergraduate journalism skills. (2009)
● Served as career counselor, Career Services Office. (2008-2009)
News/Features Editor, School Library Journal Magazine, New York, NY, 2005 to 2006
● Wrote and edited news and feature stories on children’s books, publishing and libraries for leading reviewer of kids and young adult books and multimedia.
● Edited and produced content for Extra Helping, an award-winning e-mail newsletter covering books, publishing and libraries.
Manager/Writer, Timeforkids.com, Time Inc., New York, NY, 2002-2003
● Wrote and edited news and feature articles for www.timeforkids.com.
● Covered stories ranging from celebrity profiles to space shuttle launches.
● Managed production flow and other site content operations.
Director, AOL, Dulles, VA, 2000-2001
● Supervised staff and managed content creation, curation and development of co-branded entertainment and news sites for 30 AOL content partners, including Teen People, Cartoon Network and PBS.
● Worked with AOL teams to create compelling entertainment content for AOL’s audience.
● Negotiated and managed all content licensing agreements.
● Supervised staff of five. Responsible for $20 million in revenue.
Director of Content, Eighty-Six.com, Washington, DC, 2000
● Supervised editorial operations for a restaurant startup www.86.com (no longer live).
● Hired freelance food writers. Edited and developed articles and columns and interactive cooking tools.
Managing Editor, Connect For Kids, Benton Foundation, Washington, DC, 1995-1998
● Co-founded Connect for Kids (now SparkAction), a leading children’s news and information site; served as managing editor, overseeing day-to-day editorial operations.
● Assigned stories, hired writers. Edited content. Oversaw launch of highly successful e-mail newsletters for parents.
Reporter, CQ Weekly, Washington, DC, 1975-1983
● Wrote breaking news and feature stories on congressional and White House policy and politics.
US House of Representatives, Washington, DC
● Honorable Barbara Boxer, D-CA, 1987
● Honorable Stan Lundine, D-NY, 1986
MA, American Studies, Boston University, Boston, MA
BA, History, Simmons College, Boston, MA
DIGITAL AND SOCIAL MEDIA SKILLS
Content Strategy, Adobe InCopy, blogging, HTML, SEO, CMS, social media, multimedia storytelling.
Be it soft-serve, gelato, frozen custard, Indian kulfi or Israeli glida, some form of cold, sweet ice cream treat can found throughout the world in restaurants and home freezers. Though ice cream was once considered a food for the elite, it has evolved into one of the most successful mass-market products ever developed.In Ice Cream, food writer Laura B. Weiss takes the reader on a vibrant trip... read more
Reedsy is a community of top publishing professionals. Join Reedsy today to browse 1000+ profiles.
Nena Rawdah brings 17 years of publishing and bookselling experience to your writing about food, art, history, culture, and business.
As a trusted freelance editor, I've edited hundreds of books: memoir, travel, current events, food/bev, relationships/sexuality, health.