Freelance role in which I collaborate closely with private clients. Projects have included:
• Six full-length, internationally-published novels in a number of styles and genres, including literary, historical, and detective fiction
• Over fifty short stories, articles and biographical pieces, on subjects as wide-ranging as travel, banking, philosophy, food, and celebrities
• A children’s book of Eastern fairy tales inspired by 'The Arabian Nights'
Published author of short fiction. My writing is often inspired by myths and fairy tales, frequently using them as a starting point to tell other stories.
• ‘Only the Land Remembers,’ Scarecrow, World Weaver Press, 2015
• ‘Still Life Moving Fast,’ Mslexia, Issue 66, June 2015
• ‘Antlers,’ Fae, World Weaver Press, 2014
• ‘Thread,’ Bookanista, November Issue, 2013
• ‘Unsettled,’ Stories for Homes, Shelter, 2013
• ‘It’ll All Be Gone Tomorrow,’ Vintage Script, Spring Edition, 2013
• ‘The Mirror Child,’ Modern Grimmoire, Indigo Ink Press, 2013
• ‘The Sea-Maid Speaks,’ The Beginning, Chapter One Promotions, 2012
Honours and Awards:
• Runner-up in the Mslexia Short Story Competition, 2015
• Highly Commended in the Emily Inspires Short Story Competition, 2013
• Finalist in the Indigo Ink Press Modern Fairy Tale Competition, 2012
• Winner of the Cargo Publishing/Scottish Book Trust Twitter Competition, 2012
• Shortlisted for the Chapter One Promotions Short Story Competition, 2009
• Shortlisted for the Bridport Prize, 2009
• Finalist for the Waterstone's Bookseller's Bursary Award, 2009
Advisory and editorial work with various companies including Arcadian Lifestyle Publishing, White Mountain Books and the Faber Academy, as well as numerous private clients. Projects include:
• Teaching: I have devised a creative writing programme, which I am currently teaching with the City of Edinburgh Council's Adult Education Programme, and which I taught to young adults with ISSOS International Summer Schools (2017)
• Mentorship: offering guidance on novel-writing, especially during early stages of story development (i.e. brainstorming ideas, drafting plot outlines). I have overseen the planning of over twenty books, covering a wide variety of subjects and styles.
• Manuscript assessment: providing constructive feedback for novels-in-progress in the form of reader reports.
• Copy-editing and proofreading: novels, short stories and articles for publication
Geneva-based in-house role at Arcadian Lifestyle, an independent publishing company affiliated with both Bloomsbury and Oxford University Press. I managed a large team of literary consultants, freelance writers and editors, and was responsible for the final sign-off on all work. In addition to mentorship and editing, I developed and implemented an in-house style sheet, managed the day-to-day running of the office, ensured deadlines were met by the team, and supervised every stage of the publishing process, from concept to printing.
EVERY TWO MINUTES SOMEONE IN THE UK FACES LOSING THEIR HOME From Ayers Rock to Babylon to somewhere out of this world via the edges of our own, the stories in this collection examine the concept of home from every angle. Created by a new community of people brought together to create a world class collection of short fiction in all genres, all profits from sales of this book go to the homeless... read more
Hay-men, mommets, tattie bogles, kakashi, tao-tao—whether formed of straw or other materials, the tradition of scarecrows is pervasive in farming cultures around the world. The scarecrow serves as decoy, proxy, and effigy—human but not human. We create them in our image and ask them to protect our crops and by extension our very survival, but we refrain from giving them the things a creation m... read more
Meet Robin Goodfellow as you’ve never seen him before, watch damsels in distress rescue themselves, get swept away with the selkies and enjoy tales of hobs, green men, pixies and phookas. One thing is for certain, these are not your grandmother’s fairy tales.Fairies have been both mischievous and malignant creatures throughout history. They’ve dwelt in forests, collected teeth or crafted shoes... read more
Reedsy is a community of top publishing professionals. Join Reedsy today to browse 1000+ profiles.
Professional novelist and ghostwriter, specialising in thrillers, fantasy, sci-fi and hist-fic. Author of the 'Agent of Rome' series.
I'm a full-time freelance writer with more than 115 books published for children and young adults. Let's tell your story together.