I am a freelance editor with over twelve years experience in publishing. My skills include proof reading, structural editing and copy editing, over a range of genres including fiction, business and academic works.
As a structural editor, I give guidance in an effective yet sensitive way. I have had lots of experience with authors over a range of genres and I know how difficult it can be to step back from your work and edit it efficiently - so that's what I am here for. With regards to copy editing and proof reading, I have an exceptional eye for detail and can guarantee that the finished manuscript will be error-free, not just in terms of grammar and punctuation errors that can easily slip through, but facts too. I have received extremely positive feedback on the various documents I have edited over the years - I understand how personal writing can be, and I can guide authors through the editing process very smoothly.
I very much enjoy editing fiction, but I always try and work on as many different genres as I can. Some of the titles I have worked on over the years include a David Hasselhoff biography, a 'Game of Thrones'-style fiction series and a Disney activity book for young children which I also wrote myself. I am currently studying for an MA in English Literature, so I really enjoy editing academic works such as essays and dissertations as well.
• Structural editing, copyediting and proofreading of fiction and non-fiction books from various companies including Simon and Schuster, Titan Publishing and Arrow Books. Titles include ‘Making India Awesome’, ‘Cinema Alchemist’ and ‘A Land Divided’.
• Writing content for a variety of genres including children’s activity books for Nickelodeon and magazine copy for Experience Travel Group.
• Concept, writing and project management of approx. 80 titles per year including activity, game and story books for ages 0-teen. Titles included ‘Winnie the Pooh Recipe Book, ‘Cars Activity Book’ and ‘Monster High Summer Annual’.
• Responsible for all MTR (material to repo) sign-off across the Disney team.
• Sourced and approved all artwork for list of titles.
• Managed all communication with the licensor (Disney) to ensure timely approval for each title.
• Responsible for structural editing, proofreading, ozalid and running-sheet checks
• Managed the editorial schedule to ensure material went to production on time.
• Mentored the Editorial Assistant including training, supervision and regular feedback.
• Project managed all new titles from manuscript to bound copy.
• Responsible for checking and integrating illustrations for all books.
• Managed copyediting, proofreading and author queries throughout the editorial process, including coordinating freelance copyeditors, proofreaders and indexers.
• Managed structural editing where necessary and handled reprints for the department
• Created and updated all cover briefs and copy, ATI’s and catalogue copy.
• Project managed approx. 8 new titles a year from manuscript to bound copies, including biography, cookery, illustrated gift and theology titles.
• Responsible for sourcing and employing copy editors and proofreaders, checking their work and providing feedback.
• Proofread approx. 6 titles a year in house.
• Wrote and edited all cover, ATI and catalogue copy for our Gift and Inspirational list.
• Responsible for writing and commissioning cover briefs, which included researching current books in the market as well as picture research.
When a desperate king threatens Dion and everything he loves, only dangerous magic can keep him safe.Dion, now king of Xanthos, is finally in command of the naval fleet he’s always dreamed of. But his hopes for peace are jeopardized when King Palemon, in dire need of ships to rescue his starving people from the frozen wastelands of the north, invades the Salesian city of Malakai.Too weak to co... read more
Sam is seventeen, starving herself and longing for oblivion. Her sister, Jena, is mentally scarre....
A powerful sorcerer. A forgotten past. Hellequin is back, and the end is near.A terrible storm is brewing in London, and Nathan Garrett, the sorcerer known as Hellequin, is the only one who can stop it.But his enemies have other plans. Harnessing the power of an ancient stone tablet, they cast Nate and his allies into another realm, where a bloody conflict rages between creatures twisted by ma... read more
When the body of a man is discovered in woodlands outside Manchester, a ten-year missing-persons investigation can finally be filed away. But this was no ordinary death: gagged, bound and buried alive, he was the victim of a sophisticated and sadistic killer. And there is something else that has the National Crime Agency puzzled. A single character carved into a nearby tree.Newly promoted to t... read more
Zoe knows that it wasn t really her fault. Of course it wasn t. But if she d just grasped harder,....
Meghan Smith has always been a protective mother. Her baby son, Harry, has a life-threatening condition and is never far from her sight. But on the evening of her wedding anniversary, as she and her husband celebrate in the garden with friends, Harry disappears from his cot without a trace.In an instant, the perfect life she always longed for is in tatters, her family exposed to interrogation ... read more
When Tom’s girlfriend walks out on him the day before Christmas, he feels humiliated but not necessarily heartbroken. Sadie wasn’t, after all, The One. If we’re being precise, she was number eighty-five.And so, for reasons that are only mostly wrong, Tom embarks on a mission to bring his number of encounters up to a nice neat one hundred.Over the course of his quest he sleeps with a colleague,... read more
Love your country? Want to make it truly great? Tired of loud debates and complex arguments which le....
1081. William's bloody conquest is over and Britain is under Norman rule. But one bastion of resistance remains: Wales. A divided land where brother fights brother and kings battle for power. The English use this to further their own ends, and while one king is tempted by an offer he cannot resist, the others wage war over long-forgotten feuds. Gruffydd Ap Cynan, true heir to the kingdom of Gw... read more
Rose Mathieson knows the only way is up. It has to be. She’s made some mistakes in her life, but almost losing her son is a wake-up call. More than that: it’s a call to action. It’s time to start again.The town of Redemption, Connecticut, seems to offer exactly what she craves: a quiet, stable life for her and her six-year-old son, Olly. But Redemption has changed since she last saw it—or perh... read more
In this honest, daring, and compulsively readable memoir, Reva Mann paints a portrait of herself as a young woman on the edge—of either revelation or self-destruction. The daughter of a highly respected London rabbi, Reva was a wild child, spiralling into a whirlwind of sex and drugs by the time she reached adolescence. But as a young woman, Reva had a startling mystical epiphany that led her ... read more
Lady Emily Hardcastle is an eccentric widow with a secret past. Florence Armstrong, her maid and confidante, is an expert in martial arts. The year is 1908 and they’ve just moved from London to the country, hoping for a quiet life.But it is not long before Lady Hardcastle is forced out of her self-imposed retirement. There’s a dead body in the woods, and the police are on the wrong scent. Lady... read more
The Great Fire has reduced London to smouldering embers. From the ashes, thief taker Charlie Tuesday is drawn to investigate a string of strange murders. Mutilated corpses are washing up at Deptford, each marked with a dire astrological prediction. But only London’s best crime-solver realises the killer’s deadly offerings will soon unleash a devastating force on England.With the help of Lily B... read more
The body of a young City lawyer is discovered on an East London building site, assaulted and brutally murdered. Initial enquiries lead DI Simon Fenchurch to a driver employed by Travis, a controversial new app-based cab company. Within days another woman—a Travis driver—is found murdered.As the body count goes up, DI Fenchurch and his colleagues on the East London Major Investigation Team delv... read more
Kosovo, 1999. In the shadow of an impending NATO bombing campaign, James Palatine of the Army Intelligence Corps has joined an elite unit of the SAS for his first mission behind enemy lines.A woman’s desperate cry for help draws them to a remote farmhouse, where Palatine makes a split-second decision that he bitterly regrets. Just hours later he sees a chance to redeem himself—in his own eyes,... read more
Reedsy is a community of top publishing professionals. Join Reedsy today to browse 1000+ profiles.
Experienced (9 yrs in-house, 11 yrs freelance), nonfiction editor specializing in content editing, copy editing, and proofreading.
10 years writing, editing, & working contracts with publications including The New Yorker & Forbes. Agency and publisher experience.