As a structural editor, I give guidance in an effective yet sensitive way. I have had lots of experience with authors over a range of genres and I know how difficult it can be to step back from your work and edit it efficiently - so that's what I am here for. With regards to copy editing and proof reading, I have an exceptional eye for detail and can guarantee that the finished manuscript will be error-free, not just in terms of grammar and punctuation errors that can easily slip through, but facts and plot consistency too. I have received extremely positive feedback on the various documents I have edited over the years - I understand how personal writing can be, and I can guide authors through the editing process very smoothly. I also have a background in teaching English as a foreign language, which means I not only have an excellent grasp of grammar, but I can edit text as necessary so it is fluent and coherent but without losing the author's 'voice', which is particularly important when editing a manuscript from a writer who isn't a native speaker .
I very much enjoy editing fiction, but I always try and work on as many different genres as I can. Some of the titles I have worked on over the years include thrillers and crime-based novels by authors such as Andy Maslen and Mark Edwards, 'The Wickwire Watch', an award-winning YA fantasy/drama, many picture books and stories for children including 'The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse', and most recently 'On His Majesty's Secret Service', a new James Bond novel by Charlie Higson. I was awarded an MA in English Literature in 2018, and I really enjoy editing historical fiction and non-fiction as well.
I also offer sensitivity reading, please ask for further details!
- MA English Literature
• Structural editing, copyediting and proofreading of fiction and non-fiction books from various companies including Hodder, Whitefox, Simon and Schuster and Ian Fleming Publishing. Titles include ‘The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse’, ‘On His Majesty's Secret Service’ and ‘The Drowned Woods’.
• Writing content for a variety of genres including children’s activity books for Nickelodeon and magazine copy for Experience Travel Group.
• Concept, writing and project management of approx. 80 titles per year including activity, game and story books for ages 0-teen. Titles included ‘Winnie the Pooh Recipe Book, ‘Cars Activity Book’ and ‘Monster High Summer Annual’.
• Responsible for all MTR (material to repo) sign-off across the Disney team.
• Sourced and approved all artwork for list of titles.
• Managed all communication with the licensor (Disney) to ensure timely approval for each title.
• Responsible for structural editing, proofreading, ozalid and running-sheet checks
• Managed the editorial schedule to ensure material went to production on time.
• Mentored the Editorial Assistant including training, supervision and regular feedback.
Robert Hale, Ltd.
• Project managed all new titles from manuscript to bound copy.
• Responsible for checking and integrating illustrations for all books.
• Managed copyediting, proofreading and author queries throughout the editorial process, including coordinating freelance copyeditors, proofreaders and indexers.
• Managed structural editing where necessary and handled reprints for the department
• Created and updated all cover briefs and copy, ATI’s and catalogue copy.
Hodder and Stoughton
• Project managed approx. 8 new titles a year from manuscript to bound copies, including biography, cookery, illustrated gift and theology titles.
• Responsible for sourcing and employing copy editors and proofreaders, checking their work and providing feedback.
• Proofread approx. 6 titles a year in house.
• Wrote and edited all cover, ATI and catalogue copy for our Gift and Inspirational list.
• Responsible for writing and commissioning cover briefs, which included researching current books in the market as well as picture research.
Elizabeth has 77 reviews