Hi! I’m Rhea.
I’m an experienced editor, currently Editorial Director at Hachette UK. I’ve worked on bestselling commercial fiction throughout my career, with authors who range from established Sunday Times bestsellers to breakout debuts, with a focus on women’s fiction and romance. The genres I work on include: romance, New Adult, book club, historical fiction, saga, cosy crime and psychological thrillers, along with general women’s fiction. If you’re writing in one of these genres and would like some help, I’d love to hear from you. Nothing makes me happier than helping talented writers shape and polish their stories.
For now, I can offer the following: editorial assessment, developmental editing and line-editing. I’m a creative and collaborative editor. I find edits a joy and I don’t want you to find them a chore. I’ll be sure to tell you everything you’re doing right as well as everything that needs work, so this should be an energising experience.
I want to make sure that you feel supported and happy throughout this process. Any questions, just get in touch ☺️
I commission and publish commercial fiction, with a list of about 15-20 titles a year.
I started by relaunching the digital-first list but have since moved over to the main fiction list. I love finding and working with talented self-published writers like Meagan Brandy, Elise Kova, L.J. Shen and Parker S. Huntington, launching debut voices like Rajasree Variyar and growing author brands like Libby Page and Kitty Neale. The variety of authors and genres I work across span romance, bookclub, crossover fiction, BookTok, and saga. I love the whole process, from editing to briefing covers to thinking about Comms and Sales strategies.
Head of Zeus
Published commercial fiction for the digital-first list at HoZ. My list comprised of c.30 titles per year and included women’s fiction, crime and thriller,
sagas and romance.
- Responsible for delivering entire publishing arc from acquisition to publication, including commissioning, structural and line editing, briefing covers and working with designers, writing copy, streamlining metadata, and managing freelancers
- Worked with the Aria team to ensure that each title had a strong, tailored publication strategy in place in terms of marketing, pricing and promotions, reviewed and revised as needed
- Identified backlist titles with more potential, developing fresh publishing strategies including retitling, briefing new covers, changing copy and updating metadata, to deliver a long tail and increase profit
- Oversaw the Aria Submissions Portal, including reading and assessing over 150 submissions over the course of a year
- Managed titles throughout the production process, working alongside freelancers and authors to ensure the quality of final files
- Created prelims, cover briefs and AIs for titles across the women's fiction, romance, thriller and saga genres
- Shadowed senior editors, including reading proposals and submissions and providing detailed feedback; drafting revision letters
- Responsible for running social media channels including Twitter, Facebook and Instagram
Editor for three authors on the digital imprint list; shadowed senior editors
Responsibility for unagented submissions and competition entries; logging, reading and
distributing submissions, answering email queries and sending out rejections
Managed manuscripts throughout the production process
Wrote cover copy, selling copy and catalogue copy
Managed publishing schedules and kept in-house databases up to date
Created AIs, prelims and cover briefs
Rhea has 5 reviews