- The Good Ancestor by Roman Krznaric, Penguin
- The Writers' and Artists' Yearbook (5+ years on the staff)
- Two books in the Sun, Moon and Stars romance series by Frances M. Thompson
- Two books on music by Geoff Baker from Duke University Press and Oxford University Press
- Three books in the Writers' and Artists' series: Publishing for Children and YA, Self-Publishing and Getting Published
For every manuscript I work on, I provide ALL of the following:
- Copy-editing and line editing (identifying typos and other errors and correcting them)
- Developmental editing and structural editing, including a 4-5-page editorial assessment Word document
- Suggestions on next steps including marketing and publicity
- One Zoom session to discuss and clarify feedback
- The opportunity to reach out to me again within a year for no extra cost
My clients say:
Sophia is undoubtedly one of the most skilled editors I have worked with over the past decade. She's extremely insightful in relation to structure, content and style, as well as being an eagle-eyed copy editor. We've worked together on multiple fiction and non-fiction projects for the major UK and international publishers and each time she has performed wonders with the manuscript. Sophia is also one of the most efficient editors I know - the job is always done on time and to the highest standards.
- Author, published by Penguin, Profile and Unbound
Sophia worked with me on my novel, which was published by Unbound. Her structural and copy-editing skills are thorough and thoughtful, with great attention to detail, and her approach to delivery was timely and effective. She was a pleasure to work with and I have no reservations in recommending her editing services.
- Author, published by Unbound and now Hachette UK
Having worked with Sophia for several years in-house at Bloomsbury, I’ve sought her out several times on a freelance basis and am always thrilled with her wonderful expertise, excellent ideas and unfailing reliability. I always look forward to the next time we can work together.
- Former Routledge, HarperCollins and Bloomsbury in-house editor, now freelance editor and writer
My own poetry, fiction and non-fiction have been published by Bloodaxe, Bloomsbury, Burning Eye, The Emma Press, Limehouse Books, Mslexia, Nine Arches Press, Poetry News, Writers Online and Writers’s Forum. I was nominated for a Polari Prize in 2019 for my third poetry collection, ‘The Other Woman,’ from Burning Eye Books.Let me help you make your book the best it can be!
- Spread The Word LGBT Hero, 2017
- Literary Death Match champion, 2012
- Polari Prize Nominee, 2019
- LGBT Awards Nominee, 2017
- Managing Publishing Strategy, The Publishing Training Centre
- The Digital Publisher, The Publishing Training Centre
- 1st class BA Hons English Language and Literature, Oxford University
I am a freelance editor, copy-editor and proofreader and have worked on books from the UK’s top publishers. I specialise in non-fiction and academic publishing (secondary to higher education) but have also worked on fiction and, as an author and creative writing tutor, can understand my clients and help them refine their work to give them the best chance of successful publication.
Macmillan, Bloomsbury, Hachette UK (Hodder)
I have worked on marketing and publicity for academic, educational, trade and professional publishers for the bulk of my career, with stints on magazines and working for media agencies. With this background, I can also advise on press releases, web presence and help authors plan events for new books.
Sophia has 15 reviews