- NSW Premier's Award for Children's Books 2005
- CBCA Honor Book 2008
- 13 CBCA Notable Book awards
- Longlisted CWA John Creasey New Blood Award 2019
- Prime Minister's Award for Children's Literature 2022
- Master of Fine Arts (Writing for Children and Young Adults) - Hamline University
- PhD - Victoria University
- Diploma of Professional Writing and Editing - Victoria University TAFE
I have been teaching creating writing. poetry and editing for 25 years, and am now writing and freelancing full-time. Many of my published books are for children and young adults. I also write adult crime fiction, and poetry.
I believe it's not enough to simply edit or be critical - that offering sound, experienced suggestions and ideas is also an important part of my services to writers.
I taught creative writing and editing in the Diploma of Professional Writing and Editing for more than 20 years. This included editing and workshopping the writing of over 2500 students during this time, teaching them writing skills and how to improve their stories and poems, and teaching them revision skills. Many of my students have been published.
I began freelance editing and mentoring about six years ago, as a way to continue this work with writers to help them towards publication.
I have been teaching writing and editing at tertiary level for more than 20 years, mostly at Victoria University TAFE/Polytechnic. I have been a magazine editor for Poetrix journal for 20 years. I have worked as a freelance editor for many years and opened my writing coach website in 2015. I have more than 70 titles of my own published, both in Australia and overseas, by publishers such as Penguin Random House, HarperCollins, University of Queensland Press, KaneMiller US and Allen and Unwin.
Sherryl has 28 reviews