Experienced former Penguin editor, specialising in crime/thriller/suspense. Let's get those readers hooked and on the edge of their seats!
CURRENTLY BOOKING FOR JUNE 2023 ONWARDS.
The best part of being an editor is helping writers to create work that they can be truly proud of. I can't wait to collaborate with you as a writer, to come to understand your writing and then work together to not only make it the best it can be, but also ensuring it has greatest chance of success in a crowded marketplace. Let's ramp up the tension, have readers on the edge of their seats, and, ultimately, totally and utterly gripped!
With over seven years’ experience in the commercial publishing industry, I have worked for major and independent publishers in the UK including Penguin Random House, Hachette and HarperCollins. I have expertise in structural editing – as well as formal qualifications in copy-editing and proofreading – across both fiction and non-fiction. I love working across multiple genres, but my favourite genre and my specialism is crime, suspense and thriller. I have worked with both high-profile traditionally published authors – including a few Sunday Times bestsellers such as Gilly MacMillan and Heidi Perks – as well as indie writers, embracing the world of self-publishing with success, such as Simon McCleave, Sally Rigby and Morgan Greene.
I am now based in the beautiful city of Bath, where I enjoy reading manuscripts, drinking far too much tea, whilst living less than half a mile from six different bookshops. If you can appreciate how dangerous that is, we'll get on swimmingly!
"I've got an amazing editor who pretty much taught me to write novels [...] I'm eternally grateful to [Rebecca], because all the bad habits of being a screenwriter came out in that first book, about POV and head-hopping and all that kind of stuff. She basically drilled that out of me gently, and held my hand through the first book. I've used her ever since. She's very, very good at looking at the first or second draft and spotting when a character's not acting in the way that she would expect or plot holes or ... She's got a fantastic idea if you move that scene back, that will make that act much, much pacier." – SIMON McCLEAVE, interviewed on The Self-Publishing Podcast
I have expertise in all levels of editing including structural editing, copy-editing and proofreading, across both fiction and non-fiction. Specialising in crime and thriller, I'm always excited to hear about new projects, so whether you just have a spark of an idea or have already written your full manuscript, get in touch about how I can help you on the next stage of your writing journey.
Recent clients include Penguin Random House UK and Australia, HarperCollins UK and Australia, Hachette UK, and a number of independent authors and publishers.
· Promoted after five months as Assistant Editor due to exceptional performance.
· Assessing submissions for on the PRH WriteNow Mentoring programme 2019
· Assessing submissions for on the Daily Mail First Novel Competition 2019
· Responsible for the smooth running of the editorial process for our licensed titles including Star Wars and Stranger Things.
· Working closely on titles – fiction, non-fiction and highly illustrated – from acquisition through to publication. Tasks include pitching projects, project management, writing/editing texts, briefing covers, proof collation and picture research, clearing legal reports, raising ideas for potential acquisitions.
· Close editorial work across a range of titles and genres both fiction and non-fiction, namely psychological thriller and crime.
· Liaising with authors, freelancers and fellow staff through clear and effective communication, both written and verbal, ensuring deadlines are met and work completed to a high standard.
· Reviewing submissions, writing reader reports and turndown notes and generating editorial ideas.
· Editorial work on ongoing titles, including Sherlock: The Fire Brigade Dog (Century, 2018).
· Assessing submissions for on the Daily Mail First Novel Competition 2018
· Highlights include negotiating photography for the highly illustrated Love Your Plot, David Jason’s second autobiography, Only Fools and Stories, and Tim Peake’s Ask an Astronaut, bringing in all the images at a high quality and for half the photographic budget.
· Responsibilities included diary management for the Publisher and Deputy Publisher and general administration for the imprint; and assisting the editors on ongoing books including continual maintenance of metadata for both front and backlist titles.
· Assessing submissions for on the PRH WriteNow Mentoring programme 2017
· Assessing submissions for on the Daily Mail First Novel Competition 2017
· High-quality proofreading and copy-editing of manuscripts, working across a range of genres from personal memoir, crime, thriller, sci-fi, fantasy, YA, children's and picture books.
· Responsible for the smooth running of the editorial department, including management of workflow and extensive freelance database, alongside invoicing of clients and end-of-month figures.
THE SUNDAY TIMES BESTSELLERShe was your responsibility. And now she's missing.‘I flew through this book in three days, with my heart in my mouth. Seriously page turning’ Lisa Jewell, bestselling author of THEN SHE WAS GONE ‘The term “unputdownable” gets bandied around quite often in the book world – but believe us when we say this novel is the real deal’ Heat ‘A gripping tale of friendship and... read more
'With its buried secrets, shifting allegiances, and creeping sense of dread, The Nanny pulses with tension until its shocking conclusion. I absolutely loved it!' Shari Lapena___________________Seven-year-old Jocelyn Holt loves her nanny more than her own mother.When her nanny disappears one summer night, Jo never gets over the loss.Thirty years on, now a young widow with a daughter of her own,... read more
____________________They left four children safe upstairs.They came back to three.__________________On the fifth floor of the White Caps Hotel, four young boys are left alone while their parents dine downstairs. But when one of the parents checks on the children at midnight, they discover one of them is missing. The boys swear they stayed in their room. CCTV confirms that none of them left the... read more
***AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER NOW*** The breathtaking follow-up to the Richard and Judy bestseller NOW YOU SEE HER____________________________A SHOCKING DISCOVERY.A COMMUNITY WRAPPED IN SECRETS.A tiny island community is stunned by the discovery of a long-buried body.For Stella Harvey the news is doubly shocking. The body has been found in the garden of her childhood home - the home her family fle... read more
_________________________________Two women – desperate to unlock the truth.How far will they go to lay the past to rest? ANNA has been taught that virtue is the path to God. But on her eighteenth birthday she defies her Mamma’s rules and visits Florida’s biggest theme park. She has never been allowed to go – so why, when she arrives, does everything seem so familiar? And is there a connection ... read more
When you have nothing left, what else do you have to lose? Stuck in a soulless job in New York, sat at a barren desk and too nervous to walk past the boss’s office to get a coffee, Paul Hart’s career has hit an all-time low. So, when he’s offered the chance to fly to Paris to save his job, he’s isn’t going to ask too many questions. Tasked with securing the business of wealthy CEO Monsieur Cla... read more
'Deliciously compelling' Daily Mirror'Delightfully dark' The Times**********A golden summer, and six talented friends are looking forward to the brightest of futures - until a daredevil game goes horribly wrong, and a woman and two children are killed.18-year-old Megan takes the blame, leaving the others free to get on with their lives. In return, they each agree to a 'favour', payable on her ... read more
'Beautifully written, incredibly evocative with a real sense of place and of the sea. Heart-stoppingly tense' Catherine Cooper, Sunday Times bestselling author of THE CHALET The new pulse-pounding thriller from the bestselling author of THE MEMORY WOOD.******HOW DID IT COME TO THIS?The news doesn't strike cleanly, like a guillotine's blade. Nothing so merciful. This news is a slovenly travelle... read more
Resolutions are made Marriages are broken... A gripping domestic thriller set in The Cotswolds and perfect for fans of Liane Moriarty and Adele Parks! It started with the party... Frankie, Verity and Alice live in the idyllic Cotswolds community of White Fir Lake, but behind closed doors everyone has a secret they’re desperately trying to keep... And ended with a bang! Now, as midnight on New ... read more
A dark and unsettling psychological thriller about toxic friendship, misplaced loyalty and secrets from the past finally being revealed. A gripping new story from international bestseller Nina Manning.Your best friend or your worst nightmare...?From the moment they met as children, Sasha knew that beautiful, wealthy, and confident Caitlin would always be her absolute best friend. Sasha would d... read more
A mysterious lab. A sinister scientist. A secret history. If you think you know the truth behind Eleven’s mother, prepare to have your mind turned Upside Down in this thrilling prequel to the hit show Stranger Things. It’s the summer of 1969, and the shock of conflict reverberates through the youth of America, both at home and abroad. As a student at a quiet college campus in the heartland of ... read more
adam evans, January 2023
Helen Ernst, November 2022
Jeff Smith, June 2022
Michael Beckner, April 2022
Michael Beckner, December 2021
Reedsy is a community of top publishing professionals. Join Reedsy today to browse 1000+ profiles.
Senior production editor in traditional publishing, approaching every job with relaxed care and a sense of humor.
Jersey City, NJ, USA
I am an energetic, dedicated editorial professional with impeccable credentials, an incorruptible work ethic, and fervent passion.