𝗘𝗱𝗶𝘁𝗼𝗿 𝗼𝗳 𝟯𝟬+ 𝙉𝙚𝙬 𝙔𝙤𝙧𝙠 𝙏𝙞𝙢𝙚𝙨 𝗯𝗲𝘀𝘁𝘀𝗲𝗹𝗹𝗲𝗿𝘀
If you’re looking for an experienced nonfiction editor who will deliver an excellent product and knows how to reach readers, you’ve come to the right place.
In my 25-year publishing career, I have served as senior editor at Penguin Random House and editor in chief of an award-winning independent press. I have edited hundreds of books, including 30+ 𝘕𝘦𝘸 𝘠𝘰𝘳𝘬 𝘛𝘪𝘮𝘦𝘴 bestsellers. I have also collaborated on books with bestselling authors.
Why do authors, publishers, and agents turn to me for help?
My experience plays a big role.
Also, I deliver high-quality work on schedule.
But I suspect there’s another factor: 𝗲𝗻𝘁𝗵𝘂𝘀𝗶𝗮𝘀𝗺.
Let me explain with a quick story.
Do you know Robert Gottlieb? He was a legendary editor, known for his time at Knopf, Simon & Schuster, and the 𝘕𝘦𝘸 𝘠𝘰𝘳𝘬𝘦𝘳. Gottlieb wrote many of his own books, too.
Gottlieb said something that resonated with me.
He said, “I love the editing process.” What Gottlieb loved most was 𝘀𝗲𝗲𝗶𝗻𝗴 “𝗵𝗼𝘄 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗰𝗮𝗻 𝗺𝗮𝗸𝗲 𝘀𝗼𝗺𝗲𝘁𝗵𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗯𝗲𝗹𝗶𝗲𝘃𝗲 𝗶𝘀 𝗴𝗼𝗼𝗱 𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗻 𝗯𝗲𝘁𝘁𝗲𝗿.”
That’s exactly what I love doing.
Now look, I’m no Robert Gottlieb. (As I said, he was a legend.)
But I have helped hundreds of writers as an editor and a book doctor.
I think what makes me stand out is my love for editing.
I bring the enthusiasm to tackle everything from the big picture down to the smallest comma.
I respect your voice. But I work closely with the text, line by line. That’s where I bring value to your project.
𝘕𝘦𝘸 𝘠𝘰𝘳𝘬 𝘛𝘪𝘮𝘦𝘴 bestselling author Paul Kengor says, “𝗝𝗲𝗱 𝗱𝗼𝗲𝘀 𝗮𝗯𝘀𝗼𝗹𝘂𝘁𝗲𝗹𝘆 𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗿𝘆𝘁𝗵𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗶𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗲𝗱𝗶𝘁𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗽𝗿𝗼𝗰𝗲𝘀𝘀, from finessing minor details and fact checking and copyediting to overhauling the content with major structural changes and deletions of text that (even when intriguing) simply had to go.”
Another 𝘕𝘦𝘸 𝘠𝘰𝘳𝘬 𝘛𝘪𝘮𝘦𝘴 bestselling author, movie critic and radio host Michael Medved, said that he and I “spent long hours—days, really—in conference calls 𝗴𝗼𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗼𝘃𝗲𝗿 𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗿𝘆 𝗹𝗶𝗻𝗲, 𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗿𝘆 𝘄𝗼𝗿𝗱.”
If this sounds like someone you want to work with, reach out. I’d love to get to work for you!
- Hubspot Inbound Certification
As a writer, a ghostwriter, and an editor, I help authors, publishers, agents, and businesses create great content to achieve their goals.
I have worked with organizations like T-Mobile, the Museum of Science, Pearson, Infobase, Industry Dive, and Post Hill Press.
Intercollegiate Studies Institute
(1) Built from scratch marketing program and communications plan for national nonprofit educational organization.
(2) Ran award-winning book publishing program (ISI Books) and two magazines. Drove positioning, impact, and strategic direction of ISI. Managed communications budget of more than $1M. Published 50+ books over tenure.
• Quadrupled organization membership (from 2,900 to 11,500) in just two years. Orchestrated new social media content marketing program and recreated organizational brand identity. Redesigned website, drip email campaigns, and content offers.
• Introduced curated content, including first-of-its-kind webinar series and podcasts that connected student membership with ISI educational programs. Notable results: webinar programming attracted 5,600 attendees in its first year, email engagement doubled (averaging 42% open rates and 6% click-through rate) and podcast reached Buzzsprout's top 10%.
Crown Publishing Group (Penguin Random House)
Tapped to oversee brand-new publishing division at Penguin Random House. Oversaw every aspect of marketing strategy and editorial and production process, including recruiting authors and editing manuscripts.
• Published 18 𝘕𝘦𝘸 𝘠𝘰𝘳𝘬 𝘛𝘪𝘮𝘦𝘴 bestsellers within five years.
• Served as founding editor of the Crown Forum imprint, guiding its acquisitions, editorial vision, and marketing strategies.
• Acquired and edited 10 to 12 new books per year.
Edited more than a dozen 𝘕𝘦𝘸 𝘠𝘰𝘳𝘬 𝘛𝘪𝘮𝘦𝘴 bestsellers.