I am a full-time, freelance editor with over two decade's experience in copy editing, structural/content editing, and proofreading. With a strong background in horror, fantasy, weird fiction, and poetry, I enjoy editing speculative fiction and have worked for individuals, publishers, companies, and magazines and on SF/fantasy, horror, children's books, and historical fiction, as well as non-fiction, including corporate handbooks, guides, and other communication.
I love guiding writers to the next level so that they reach their full potential. I'll hunt down issues like a hungry zombie and ensure you understand what's needed. I am pleased to offer quick response, expert, punctual service, competitive/flexible pricing and scheduling, and thorough/honest feedback. Note: I will be honest and if I think you need to do more work before hiring an editor, I'll tell you.
A published author, with a BFA in creative writing, I can suggest ways to increase visibility of your work. I am a member of HWA and SFPA, and have served on Stoker Award and British Fantasy Award juries, as well as the HWA scholarship committee. I'm current President of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Poetry Association (SFPA). Poetry instructor at Crystal Lake Publishing.
"In a world awash with editors, it is too often difficult to find one who possesses both excellent language and structural skills. Colleen is incredibly knowledgeable in those arenas and has a background in a variety of genres, from literary to commercial. Her work is detailed, her eye sharp, her scope ranging from substantive editing to proofreading. I have been very pleased with the work she's done on my manuscripts and would not hesitate to hire her again."
Author: The Thrones of Blood series (recently optioned for film and TV). Winner of the Arthur Ellis Award for mystery writing.
"During my time as the science fiction/fantasy editor for book packager Byron Preiss, Colleen was one of the copy-editors I most relied on. She was always thorough and timely, and I could always count on her to deliver excellent work on time."
~Keith R.A. DeCandido
Author: Numerous Star Trek, Precinct, superhero, and other novels.
- Dwarf Stars nominee x3
- Rhysling Award nominee x9
- Pushcart Prize nominee
- Aurora Award nominee x5
- Elgin Award nominee
- Rhysling Award winner long-form poetry 2023
- SFPA poetry contest winner, dwarf poems
- Copy Editing Program-SFU
- BFA Creative Writing-UBC
Copy edit manuscripts for grammar, style, language, consistency
Evaluate manuscripts for content, style, setting, language
Edit print materials for game user guides, press kits, on-screen text & cover sleeves
Proofread pre-press copies
Correct graphics, tables, charts or text
Select non-fiction/corporate clients (see below for fiction):
• EA Sports (copy editing & rewriting in-game text & concept documents)
• Nokia Telecommunications [Games Publishing] (editing, writing, certification)
• Hewlett-Packard--Consera Software Solutions, WA (copy editing, rewriting, proofreading)
• Catalyst Papers (copy editing, proofreading)
• Canadian Mental Health Association, AB (stylistic & copy editing)
• Club Couloir [sportswear] (proofreading)
• Creative Collections, (manuscript evaluation, structural editing)
Read and evaluated submissions
Edited fiction for content, structure, and house style
Communicated with authors on changes, provided constructive feedback
Copy edited fiction and non-fiction children's books for house style, grammar, and content
Fact checked and researched terminology
Proofread pre-press copies, including image placement
• How do Fish Swim?
• The Mammoth Cheese
• Saskatchewan’s Super Skiers
• Alone Across the Arctic
• Math Magazine
• The Dragon Lords
• Build a Castle
• Zero’s Math Adventures
• The Dragon Lords
Worked with publishers: Wolf Creek Books, Raincoast Books, Altitude Publishing, Masquerade Books
Nonfiction, biographical, and historical content and copy editing, including fact checking, and formatting footnotes. Some books required proofing of graphics and images to ensure consistency of style for labeling, tables of contents, and references.
• All that Glitters: The Life of Joseph Ladue, [Biography] Wolf Creek Books
• King Con: The Story of Soapy Smith, [History/Biography] Wolf Creek Books
• Rebel Women, [History] Altitude Publishing
• Dinosaur Hunters, [History] Altitude Publishing
• Quicksilver [Fiction Collection], Raincoast Books
• Cabin at Singing River, [Nonfiction] Raincoast Books
• Weird Sex & Snowshoes [Canadian Film History] Raincoast Books
Copy edited fantasy, SF, superhero books, and anthologies for house style, grammar, and content
Ensured consistency of characters, language, and setting
Proofread final pre-press copies
Select titles :
• Hannah’s Garden, Midori Snyder
• The Ultimate Alien (anthology)
• Iron Man: Operation A.I.M., Greg Cox
• Red Unicorn, Tanith Lee
• Monet’s Ghost, Chelsea Quinn Yarbro
• Codename: Wolverine, Christopher Golden
• Venom’s Wrath, Jose Nieto & Keith Decandido
• X-Men: Soul Killer, Richard Lee Byers
Colleen has 4 reviews