Hello and welcome to my profile! I’m Brittany Vincent, editor/proofreader specializing in children’s books: Middle Grade, Young Adult, and New Adult (including subgenres such as contemporary, dystopian, fantasy, historical, paranormal romance, romance, Sci-Fi, etc.). For over a decade I’ve been a beta reader to aspiring authors and gained experience in children’s editorial imprints at both Simon & Schuster and HarperCollins (see the list of titles below that I’ve contributed to). I have a MS in Publishing degree from Pace University and am currently a senior proofreader at a Fortune 5 company.
My passion is to use my years of experience and honed skills to help authors like you to effectively polish, perfect, and publish your best work. In addition to being an efficient and reliable editorial professional who can meet deadlines, my greatest strength is an eye for intricate detail. I’ll ensure that your content is not only grammatically correct but also accurate and consistent with your particular authorial style and publishing goals. I’ll assess the individual building blocks of your story in-depth and how they fit together to create the intended “big picture” concept.
A fun fact about me: growing up in the Ocean State, I’ve always been fascinated with mythical mermaids. Mermaids are unique, clever, and constantly exploring new depths to find treasures—like pearls. My abilities as an editor are similar. I love diving into the oyster that is writing and discovering the “pearl” of words within.
Submit a request today to see how we can work together to produce your literary pearl!
Contractor to Full-Time Employee
• Work with Proofreading, Copywriting, Design, and Marketing to complete projects effectively and on deadline
• Ensure consistency and accuracy of brand style and legal compliance
• Create and update internal style sheets to maintain consistency across brand assets
• Proofread a variety of ads, direct mail, print campaigns, social media, correspondence, and digital assets
• Organize, compose, and edit department’s monthly newsletter
Improving clients' content in the following ways:
• Correcting spelling, grammar, punctuation, syntax, and word usage
• Checking consistency of style and format; creating style sheet, if necessary
• Assessing in detail language, words, and jargon
• Fixing wordiness and sentence structure; rewriting/reorganizing for clarity and readability
• Flagging and fixing active and passive voice, as well as tone
Please note: due to confidentiality agreements with certain clients, I am unable to list other editorial projects I've worked on in my portfolio.
• Conducted research for marketing campaigns and fact-checked editorial projects
• Created and updated posts across divisions' social media platforms for various titles
• Crafted entertainment and promotional articles for division blog
• Reviewed young adult/middle grade manuscripts and composed reader reports for acquiring editors
• Researched and analyzed current/potential consumer market trends
• Wrote jacket copy for upcoming titles
• Attended editorial, marketing, design, and IP meetings
• Contributed to editorial team projects such as providing manuscript analysis and IP collaboration
• Assisted in fielding author fan mail and sending publishing/promotional materials to authors
• Attended weekly editorial, marketing, design, production, and IP meetings
• Evaluated submissions and edited upcoming manuscripts for YA, middle grade, and young readers
• Drafted flap copy for children’s picture books
• Updated tip sheets and CIP data for marketing and sales materials
• Corresponded with authors/agents regarding book reviews, royalty statements, and subsidiary rights deals
• Assisted Editorial and Marketing with brainstorming ideas and assembling materials for promotional mailings
Reedsy is a community of top publishing professionals. Join Reedsy today to browse 1000+ profiles.