Formerly a long-term editor at one of the UK's leading publishers of sci-fi, fantasy & crime fiction, comics and graphic novels, I semi-recently decided to take the plunge into freelance editing full-time. My education and employment history have provided me with a varied skill set and a passion for the written word. I have a BA in print journalism and creative writing and over 15 years of experience working within the publishing industry.
Although specialising in comic book and script editing, I have significant experience with long-form genre projects, both line editing and in a developmental capacity.
• Excellent organizational, verbal, and written communication skills.
• A comprehensive editorial skill set (including, but not limited to -- editing, copywriting, proofreading, transcribing, translation assistance, comic book lettering, creative consulting, and project management.
• Strong knowledge of the literary industry and publishing process.
• Ability to maintain strict schedules and deadlines, anticipate challenges and find timely, relevant solutions.
• Extremely detail-orientated, with line, copy, and developmental editing experience.
• A passion for creative collaboration
• A healthy sense of humour and an unhealthy love of letters!
With a healthy respect for deadlines and flexible rates/availability, please feel free to contact me if you need assistance with your next comic book, fantasy novel, or sci-fi script. I’m always looking for new opportunities to help turn good stories into great ones, so get in touch asap and we can discuss your project further.
- Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) - Journalism with Creative Writing - 2:1 grade
I currently work as a freelance editor, comics letterer, and creative consultant, specializing in comic books/graphic novels, sci-fi, fantasy, and genre fiction.
A small selection of comics titles I've contributed to on a freelance basis include:
• Something Epic (Image Comics) • Blood Covenant (Image Comics) • Hessyst Vol.1 (self-published)
• Dark Souls -- Legends of the Flame (Titan Comics) • Sally of the Wasteland (Titan Comics)
I have also worked on numerous freelance editorial projects for a variety of private clients and publishers including, but not limited to:
• Hachette Publishing • Coffeeshop Guru • Haynes Publishing • Titan Comics • The Sun newspaper
• The Walking Dead Magazine • Adventure Time Magazine • Big Cheese Magazine
• Vive Le Rock Magazine • Louder Than War Magazine • Gorezone Magazine
My most recent permanent full-time editorial position was at Titan Comics -- a subsidiary of Titan Publishing. Titan Publishing has been the UK's leading purveyor of comics, graphic novels, genre fiction and licensed publishing for over thirty years.
While at Titan, I oversaw the majority of the company's video game comic releases (including titles based on the 𝘉𝘭𝘰𝘰𝘥𝘣𝘰𝘳𝘯𝘦, 𝘋𝘢𝘳𝘬 𝘚𝘰𝘶𝘭𝘴, 𝘈𝘴𝘴𝘢𝘴𝘴𝘪𝘯'𝘴 𝘊𝘳𝘦𝘦𝘥, and 𝘞𝘰𝘭𝘧𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘵𝘦𝘪𝘯 franchises), flagship projects like 𝘛𝘢𝘯𝘬 𝘎𝘪𝘳𝘭, while also spearheading its Hard Case Crime comics imprint.
Responsibilities included managing 4-6 comic book titles/graphic novels per month (both licensed and creator-owned) with duties not limited to:
• Developing story ideas and positive working relationships with creators, licensors, retailers, press, and co-workers; commissioning creative teams; art direction; and working to ensure deadlines were consistently met.
• Sheparding titles through each stage of the editorial/publishing process, from pitch to print.
Prior to my position as a Comics Editor at Titan, I worked inhouse as a magazine editor at Titan Magazines -- another subsidiary of Titan Publishing.
Titan Publishing has been the UK's leading purveyor of comics, graphic novels, fiction and licensed publishing for over thirty years.
Managing 4-6 children's and sci-fi/film magazines per month (both licensed and creator-owned) with duties including, but not limited to:
• Developing feature ideas, hiring creative teams and working to ensure deadlines are consistently met.
• Ensuring licensor or creator approval.
• Developing and maintaining positive working relationships with licensors, creators, retailers, press, and co-workers.
• Assisting marketing dept. with development of press releases and marketing materials.
• Assisting art dept. with development and creation of comic materials.
Titles managed include:
Adventure Time Magazine, Star Wars Insider, The Walking Dead Magazine, Spongebob Squarepants Magazine, Simpsons Comics, Futurama Comics, WWF Magazine etc.
Tom has 22 reviews