I can help you create a winning digital marketing strategy for your book, my expertise lies in digital marketing and social media strategy strategy, content creation, and developing creative campaigns that exceed objectives.
- Book Marketing Society - Adult Fiction
- Book Marketing Society - Multi-title
- Book Marketing Society - Audience development
- Nielsen Data Prize for Excellence
- Level 3 Foundation Certificate in Marketing (with Distinction)
- Certificate in Professional Marketing (Digital Marketing)
I offer a wide range of marketing skills on a freelance basis, including marketing campaign development, digital brand strategy, social media management, and copywriting for B2B and B2C audiences. I have worked with a variety of clients, from fintech and enterprise software companies to brands such as ExCeL London, Collins Dictionary, Audiense, and Cats Protection.
Managing a varied list of high-profile brands and exciting debut authors across our Fiction imprints (HarperFiction, The Borough Press, and HarperVoyager). Authors I work on include Dawn O'Porter, Susan Lewis, Bernard Cornwell, Emma Jane Unsworth and Lindsey Kelk.
- Responsibility for a list of authors across HarperFiction imprints including HarperVoyager and The Borough Press
- Planning and executing multi-channel marketing campaigns
- Developing the digital strategy and brand voice for the HarperVoyager community
- Creating and managing advertising campaigns across a range of platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Amazon Marketing Services
- Working with tools such as Adespresso, Silverpop, Wordpress, Adobe Creative Suite, Hootsuite and Google Analytics
- Briefing external freelancers and agencies
HarperCollins UK, Collins
- Managing a significant list of adult reference titles, including Times Books and Collins Dictionaries
- Planning and executing multi-channel marketing campaigns for Collins adult reference titles
- Developing strategy and managing social media channels for Dictionary, Reference & Astronomy
- Overseeing the continued development of websites such as Times Books and Collins Dictionary
- Briefing and managing external freelancers and agencies
- Managing creation and delivery of e-newsletters, as well as building subscriber lists
- Setting up and managing advertising campaigns for key titles through Amazon Marketing Services
- Creation of marketing assets for use on social media and in newsletters, as well as marketing collateral such as ads, leaflets and catalogues, using Adobe InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator
- Working with Shopify, IBM, Wordpress, Adobe Creative Suite, Gorkana, Hootsuite & Google Analytics
- Full redesign of the Collins Reference catalogue in time for Frankfurt Book Fair
- Exceeded first week sales expectations for the launch of a new audio product
- Successful launch of Collins Word of the Year 2018 campaign, delivering 2.2% uplift in media coverage and significant uplift in social media engagement
- Achieving bestseller status for two key titles on Amazon through highly targeted digital activity
- Development & implementation of digital strategy, in addition to managing budget
- Management of corporate social media channels using tools such as Buffer, Hootsuite & Brandwatch
- Curation & creation of content for digital channels including social media, emails & website
- Creation & management of in-house email campaigns across commercial departments
- Day-to-day content management & overall project management of the website
- Building relationships & networking with clients, partners and agencies
- Monitoring & analysis of digital platforms which formed the basis of in-depth trends and insights reports shared across the business
- In addition to core responsibilities, development & execution of CSR marketing plan
My role focused on planning, creating, and editing a variety of content: blogs, SEO-focused content, emails, newsletters, eBooks, product text, and web copy (both sales and technical). I managed SEO and PPC efforts, communicating information internally and externally to keep projects running smoothly. The position involved working closely with multiple departments, located in both London and Spain.
- Developed and wrote content which contributed to helping SocialBro win a place on Social Media Examiner's Top 10 Social Media Blogs of 2015 list, which featured over 600 nominations
- Developed and wrote content which contributed to helping the SocialBro blog rank as one of Hubspot's Top 10 Marketing Blogs in UK & Ireland
- Significantly grew SEO traffic to the website over a 6 month period with tailored content focusing on key industry topics
Creating a bestselling digital debut during a pandemic
An entirely digital campaign that took an unknown author to the Kindle Top 100, driving nearly 300 Amazon reviews in under two weeks.
Supported by strategic reading community activity and wide-reaching Facebook advertising, with an exclusive invitation sent to a select list of influencers that drove word-of-mouth online. Long-tail pre-order ads, testing multiple audiences and creative to hone the most effective message, drove over 6,000 clicks and reached 300,000 people.
Building a bestseller out of a second novel by working with influencers
To make this the most talked about book of 2020, we needed to passionate readers to champion the book – and build a foundation of strong reviews – amongst bloggers and booksellers. Social media is the perfect place to create FOMO, we focused on Twitter and Instagram.
We envisioned three key audiences:
1) Existing fans who read the previous book
2) Literary heatseekers looking for the next big book
3) Bookstagrammers with the power to influence
We set out with the ambition of treating this book like a debut. If we wanted to achieve widespread support, building reader buzz was crucial. We sold double the amount of HBs forecasted, we tripled our EB sales expectations and smashed audio sales out of the park.
The campaign drove over 20,000 clicks to the pre-order page and Facebook and Instagram advertising reached over 500,000 people at an ROI of 22p per unit.
An epic series finale that became a no.1 bestseller through highly-targeted paid advertising
Managing an epic campaign to celebrate the final book in The Last Kingdom series, against the backdrop of a pandemic and the lack of traditional retail space.
Pivoting the traditional author strategy of OOH media to innovative digital, producing a legendary video trailer that was used across paid advertising on YouTube, Twitter and Facebook, targeting six distinct audiences with Facebook advertising to drive interest and engage lapsed fans, and running clever partnership activity with press and brands such as English Heritage and Universal Studios.
The campaign broke many records for the authors, selling 30,000 copies across formats in the first week, re-engaging booksellers and crushing targets to create a no.1 bestselling title. Digital advertising performed strongly, reaching over 2 million people at just 18p CPC.
An influencer-driven digital campaign designed to build buzz
Developing the campaign for the imprint's lead fantasy title in 2021. A massive digital marketing campaign designed to build hype around the debut novel, plus working closely with influencers to create a blogger 'coven' to seed early content and support the launch.
Project involved carefully selecting influencers, both fantasy bloggers and wider interest audiences, to contact as part of our wider activity, providing exclusive content from first looks at the book, to proof copies, to bespoke sewing kits inviting them to stitch the cover at home.
We knew that word-of-mouth would drive this fantasy debut, so we launched #MagicMonday, a moment each week offering Twitter followers a chance to win an advance copy of the book by 'wishing' for it on NetGalley. This drove over 800 organic requests and to date, has driven over 120 reviews.
A key metric was tracking mentions of the campaign hashtag, which had over 2 million impressions. Our cover reveal video had over 4,000 views and we were able to exceed pre-order expectations by driving a high volume of pre-orders to our key retailer.
Rachel has 1 review
Lucinda E C.