2024 is off to a good start:
Kirkus has weighed in on my recent effort with the estimable Judd Swift, to be published in May by The Lyons Press:
My Presidential Life: The Showdown at Putin's Dacha and Other Misadventures on the Diplomatic Road
“Advance work for presidents is always demanding but never dull, and Swift describes it all in this colorful account… Refreshingly, the author narrates his intriguing career without rancor or self-aggrandizement, providing an entertaining read about what happens behind the curtain… Swift has tales to tell and secrets to spill, and he does it with aplomb and humor.”
A Harvest of Innocence: The Untold Story of the West Memphis Three Murder Case is Amazon's top new release in true crime.
Some early reviews:
'Stidham and McCarthy have crafted an exceptional book that tells the true story of the 1993 murders of three innocent victims and the rushed convictions of three innocent residents of West Memphis, Arkansas. A must-have for any true crime buff, law student, or civil rights activist."
“The book is absolutely extraordinary. You’ve very nimbly and masterfully wove through three decades of litigation while making it interesting, readable, and relatable."
I am a longtime book-publishing executive with industry connections.
Ghost-written titles to be published in 2023-2024 include a no-holds-barred look at a murder case that caught the world’s attention (May 2024); an insider's look at U.S. Presidential summit meetings with the world's iconic leaders (signed by The Lyons Press in September 2023); a wrenching and undiscovered history of an American trench-runner in World War I (with publishers); a moving account of an American businessman who returns to his native North Korea to help (published by the Jenkins Group); and a chilling look at early polar exploration (published by Rowman & Littlefield).
My recent work also includes a new edition of The New York Times best-selling From Baghdad, With Love.
Jay Kopelman, a Marine colonel in besieged Fallujah, Iraq, whose struggle to adopt a young puppy amid the chaos and carnage of war is recounted in the book, said this about working with me.
“As a New York Times and international best-selling author, I’ve had the opportunity to work with a number a of co-authors. Only when I worked with Tom on my best-selling book, From Baghdad, With Love, did I understand how truly fortunate I was to have a professional writer/editor like Tom on my team. He is thoughtful, creative, witty, and possessing of a keen eye and ear for true story telling. I will only work with Tom as a co-writer/editor on all future projects.”
My projects have won a Harvard University Book of the Year, a Readers Digest Top Summer Book, an Esquire Year's Five Best Reads, a Sports Illustrated Top Book of the Year, an American Library Association, Best Non-Fiction, and a Runner's World Best Book of the Year, among others.
- Harvard University’s Goldsmith Award, Book of the Year: Embedded, The Media at War in Iraq
- Readers Digest, Top Five Summer Books, King of Heists
- Sports Illustrated Top Books of the Year: Facing Ali
- Esquire magazine’s Year’s Five Best Reads: Far Afield, A Sportswriting Odyssey
- Runner’s World Best Books of the Year: Everyone’s Guide to Running and Be Iron Fit
- Foreword, Best Sports Books: Cohn-Head
- American Library Association, Best Non-Fiction, In the Margins Book Award for America's Massacre: The Audacity of Despair and a Message of Hope
- Silver Medal: Independent Publishers: Best Regional Non-Fiction, For Sale: American Paradise: How Our Nation was Sold an Impossible Dream in Florida
- E-Captain: Best Books of the Year: Crossing the Bar, The Adventures of a San Francisco Bay Bar Pilot
- BookSense Notable Pick: Patriots Act: Voices of Dissent
- BookSense Notable Pick : The Color of Love
- Ben Franklin Award Finalist: Hell Is Over, Voices of the Kurds After Saddam
- Ben Franklin Award, Sports: Duty, Honor, Victory, America’s Athletes in World War II
- CASEY Award Finalist for Spitball, The Literary Baseball Magazine: A Tale of Two Cities
Providing ghostwriting, editing, and consultation for more than 10 years.
• Editorial Director:
The McBooks/Sheridan House Initiative. Organized, proposed, and signed four lists through Fall 2021 for this emerging imprint of fiction and non-fiction maritime books.
• Senior Acquisitions Editor:
The Lyons Press, specializing in history, military history, sports, and boating
• Writer, Grandin Hood Publishers
Recent work includes anniversary histories for Rye Country Day School, Agnes Irwin School, and the National Parks Conservation Association
More than 20 titles published in 2017-2020.
With clients in the United Arab Emirates, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa, I went global in 2013. Specializing in editing and ghost-writing nonfiction titles including health, history, current events, sports, fitness, and travel. Writing samples and review comments available.
Ghost-Writing Works in Progress:
• Harvest of Innocence, an attorney’s account of his 25-year involvement in the West Memphis 3 murders: to be completed in September 2018
• No Remorse Divorce, a how-to guide on collaborative mediation: to be completed August 2018
Imprint Head: Seahorse Press, a Division of Skyhorse Publishing
November 2016 to January 2017
Direct new imprint of sailing and boating titles, with eight new books signed and edited for our premier list in Fall 2016; another twelve titles developed and signed for Spring and Fall 2017.
The Lyons Press, Guilford, CT
(A Division of Globe-Pequot Press)
December 2005 to January 2009
Acting Editorial Director
The Lyons Press, Guilford CT
(A Division of Globe-Pequot Press)
June 2005 to December 2005
Bachelor of Arts, English/Creative Writing
The Pennsylvania State University
Tom has 3 reviews