Hi, I’m Raya! As a professional editor, I bring over 14 years of experience to every project I touch. I've started out as a web developer, but transitioned to copywriting, editing, and then music journalism after realizing that HTML was not my preferred languages to work with. Since my days in the music magazine, I've been honing my craft as an editor. Nowadays, I'm a freelancer working with publishing houses, like Nimbus and ECW Press, and self-published authors, focusing on literary fiction, YA, fantasy, non-fiction (occult, history, local interest) and poetry. I'm also excited to be in the first wave of editors to join the New York-based Storywise Studio (Lauren Kay Writes).
Because of my experience in the music journalism, I'd love to also edit books on music history, culture, or criticisms and artist biographies. I run my own literary journal, Blood & Bourbon. I also am a proofreader for corporate clients, like TD.
If you are looking for a copy or line edit of your manuscript, poetry, articles or professional documents–you have come to the right place! I will take you and your writing on a journey to discover the best, most comprehensive version of your text. I will be there to safeguard your voice like a treasure chest, but also to battle through all the grammatical, punctuation, and stylistic mishaps. I will be a champion for your work from the time we set sail until we anchor at a beautiful place.
I'm happy to do a 15-minute consultation before you choose to work with me and we can discuss what your goal with your manuscript is and the types of services you need at this time! I take on clients for one service or for the whole journey.
I am currently working on a developmental editing certification from Fictionary and can't wait to share this knowledge with my authors!
"Raya was always clear – and that means a lot when you're working with words. She understood my writing style, and kept it intact through the editing process. She was responsive to my feedback, and never tried to shape me into something I’m not. If I had my pick of editors, I'd choose her every time!" -- Steve Skafte, The Dead Die Twice
"I enjoyed working with Raya as an editor. Her suggestions seemed well thought-out and were backed with good reasoning. She really listened to any concerns I had with proposed changes, and we had lots of interactive dialogue to work through difficult portions of text. Overall, I really like her collaborative editing style; she supported my work and accentuated my voice. Given the opportunity, I would definitely work with her again.” -- Lina Marques, author
- Editing Certificate, George Brown College, 2018
- Digital Media Arts Program, Seneca College, 2008
A professional editor and proofreader of fiction, non-fiction, movie scripts, and magazine articles. A proofreader for corporate clients, like TD, reviewing marketing materials, and the Nova Scotia Legislature.
Currently helping one of my authors query the first book in their fantasy series and looking for new editing opportunities.
Blood & Bourbon
- Is the owner and editor-in-chief for a local bi-annual literary journal.
- Manages a growing team of editors, curating materials for upcoming issues and looking for possibilities for readership growth.
- Responsible for developing the publication’s editing standards and style guidelines.
- Oversees the publishing process from start to finish.
- Does structural, stylistic, and copy editing for short stories of various subject matter, short non-fiction and personal essays, and poetry; proofreads the finalized pieces and develops print layout.
- Worked closely with the Editor in Chief and the writers to produce articles that fit the publication's tone and vision.
- Wrote and edited articles in line with the magazine's message of female teen empowerment.
The Scene Magazine
- Increased readership of the assigned music genre from the least to the second most-read topic in the magazine. - Managed a team of 25 journalists and photographers.
- Copy edited and proofread incoming articles (concert reviews, album reviews, interviews), and selected photos for the articles.
- Wrote SM copy to promote the articles.
- Wrote over 130 articles for the magazine, ranging from live concert reviews to album reviews, news and promotional pieces.
- Shot and edited photographs, conducted interviews with musicians and promoters to increase engagement.
Raya has 3 reviews