If you are looking for a copy or line edit of your manuscript, poetry, articles or professional documents–you have come to the right place! I will take you and your writing on a journey to discover the best, most comprehensive version of your text. I will be there to safeguard your voice like a treasure chest, but also to battle through all the grammatical, punctuation, and stylistic mishaps. I will be a champion for your work from the time we set sail until we anchor at a beautiful place. That said, depending on the type of editing we're working on, I will add all of my comments in the Word doc, but will also highlight the major points of discussion in an email. I prefer to work on the full manuscript at once, instead of chapter by chapter, because it is easier to be consistent that way. However, if you don't have the whole manuscript ready, I can work on parts of it and then do another round of edits when it's complete. I recommend doing at least two rounds of edits for any manuscript. I'm straightforward, but open to discussion, will usually provide one or two alternatives for line edits.
"Raya was always clear – and that means a lot when you're working with words. She understood my writing style, and kept it intact through the editing process. She was responsive to my feedback, and never tried to shape me into something I’m not. If I had my pick of editors, I'd choose her every time!" -- Steve Skafte, The Dead Die Twice
"I enjoyed working with Raya as an editor. Her suggestions seemed well thought-out and were backed with good reasoning. She really listened to any concerns I had with proposed changes, and we had lots of interactive dialogue to work through difficult portions of text. Overall, I really like her collaborative editing style; she supported my work and accentuated my voice. Given the opportunity, I would definitely work with her again.” -- Lina Marques, author
- Editing Certificate, George Brown College, 2018
- Digital Media Arts Program, Seneca College, 2008
A professional editor and proofreader specializing in copy and stylistic editing of fiction, non-fiction, movie scripts, magazine articles and marketing materials.
Currently working on edits for a non-fiction book of local interest for Nimbus Publishing, and will be starting a copy edit for a literary novel in January.
Pending release date a romance novel set in Cape Breton and a photography book on abandoned cemeteries in Nova Scotia (The Dead Die Twice from Nimbus Publishing).
A proofreader for corporate clients, like TD, reviewing marketing materials.
Blood & Bourbon
- Is the owner and editor-in-chief for a local bi-annual literary journal.
- Manages a growing team of editors, curating materials for upcoming issues and looking for possibilities for readership growth.
- Responsible for developing the publication’s editing standards and style guidelines.
- Oversees the publishing process from start to finish.
- Does structural, stylistic, and copy editing for short stories of various subject matter, short non-fiction and personal essays, and poetry; proofreads the finalized pieces and develops print layout.
- Worked closely with the Editor in Chief and the writers to produce articles that fit the publication's tone and vision.
- Wrote and edited articles in line with the magazine's message of female teen empowerment.
The Scene Magazine
- Increased readership of the assigned music genre from the least to the second most-read topic in the magazine. - Managed a team of 25 journalists and photographers.
- Copy edited and proofread incoming articles (concert reviews, album reviews, interviews), and selected photos for the articles.
- Wrote SM copy to promote the articles.
- Wrote over 130 articles for the magazine, ranging from live concert reviews to album reviews, news and promotional pieces.
- Shot and edited photographs, conducted interviews with musicians and promoters to increase engagement.
Raya has 3 reviews