Conceptually I am very interested in approaching sensitive subject matter with subtlety and humanity, using metaphor and delicacy to convey challenging themes when a literal approach may be harsh or inappropriate. Although my work primarily lends itself well to adult literary fiction, poetry and philosophical texts, my broad experience as an editorial illustrator provides me with a unique approach when communicating difficult or potentially dry non-fiction concepts in an intriguing way.
When collaborating with an author I will always read the manuscript where possible so I have a personal relationship with the text. I will then work closely with the client, sharing progress from rough sketches to final artwork and type design to ensure the artwork is performing exactly how it should be - forming a strong, lasting connection with the right audience and creating a striking first impression.
- International Illustration Awards 2020 - Certificate of Merit for Book Cover Design - Donal Ryan Collected Novels - Penguin Random House
- Communication Arts 2020 Illustration Competition - Award of Excellence
- D&AD Awards 2021 - Winner of Three D&AD Pencils
- World Illustration Awards 2020 - Longlist- Donal Ryan Collected Novels - Penguin Random House
- Global Health Illustration Awards 2022 - Three Shortlisted Illustrations
- The Klaus Flugger Prize - Celebrating outstanding newcomers to picture book illustration - Shortlist 2023
- Falmouth University - First Class Degree - Illustration BAHons
I am an illustrator, artist and book cover designer based in Bristol, England and I have been working for over 10 years for clients including Penguin Random House, Harper Collins, Bloomsbury, The New Yorker, the New York Times, TED, the V&A, IMAX and the BBC.
My cover designs have adorned books by writers such as Ernest Hemingway, Jack Kerouac, Thomas Hardy and Albert Camus as well as contemporary authors such as Ian McEwan, Sally Rooney and BIll Bryson and can be found all over the world.
Owen has 7 reviews