Collaboration, ghostwriting, developmental editing, proposal writing, coaching, and consultations in the areas of memoir, addictions/recovery, self-help, health and fitness, pop culture, music, lifestyles, business, psychology, medicine, parenting, humor, and current affairs.
• Managed editorial department comprised of 2 editors and 1 managing editor, and one assistant to produce 40 to 50 titles per year
• Developed goals, strategies, and objectives for expanding core categories and increasing the number of books published
• Presented lists to Canadian distributor and make sales calls to key accounts and independent reps (four times a year)
• Negotiated contracts, oversee catalogue, write jacket copy, work closely with production department to reinvent packaging and interior designs, conceptualize and approve covers
• Performed various marketing functions and oversee marketing decisions, including positioning, packaging, scheduling, prioritizing, approving marketing plans and budgets
• Developed and edited 15 books per year
• Implemented new systems: Wrote an industry-standard publishing agreement; created a managing editor position; implemented editorial board; subscribed to Bookscan; redesigned catalogue and back and front covers; improved paper quality; attracted author diversity; created the first reality-based romance series (RB Romance™) called VOWS, which will launch in October 2010
• Collaborated with Chicken Soup for the Soul editorial department
• Signed 18 new contracts a year in the non-fiction categories of health, self-help/psychology, diet/fitness, and parenting
• Oversaw all editorial and production issues for 22 books per year
• Brainstormed new title ideas; conceptualized content; negotiated contracts; established fruitful relationships with top agents; developed and edited manuscripts; directed author efforts; prepared relevant supporting materials; revised titles in the health backlist; actively worked with marketing managers
• Provided editorial support to Leigh Haber, executive editor; overseeing projects from acquisitions to bound book
• Read fiction and non-fiction submissions from literary agents and recommended them for acquisition
• Served as liaison to authors, agents, and publicists
• Wrote readers’ reports, rejection letters, and deal memos
• Ran P&Ls and contract requests
A five-point plan to usher you through heartache and toward a stronger, healthier place.“I know how to kill someone and get away with it.” The words spoken by her father when Melissa was a teen haunt her to this day. Two years later, after confessing that he was the serial killer nationally known as the Happy Face Killer, Keith Jesperson was arrested for the murder of eight women. The pain, gu... read more
Drop the Act, It’s Exhausting! is one woman’s call to all women to embrace the imperfections in their lives and to air their “improper” thoughts about relationships, love, sex, parenting, careers, self-esteem, and self-image. By no longer being ashamed or apologetic about how they "really feel,” women will become more aware of who they are and more accepting of themselves and one another. With... read more
The King of Style: Dressing Michael Jackson is a fascinating look at the intersection of music and fashion, as well as an homage to Michael Jackson’s brilliant fusing of costume, personality, and performance to create his iconic image.Through his music, dance, and fashion, Michael Jackson created a mystique that was unique to him and recognized as such throughout the world. For five decades he... read more
When kindness becomes your primary goal, everything changes: how you look at life, what you get from it, and how others interact with and relate to you.The Profit of Kindness will help you master the art of building trusting, long-lasting relationships through open, nonadversarial interchanges that result in mutually beneficial outcomes. A basic adjustment in attitude and approach can substant... read more
If life is an epic saga, who is writing your narrative? Is the plot unfolding as you imagined? Whether you find yourself trudging along in boredom or caught up in a chaotic whirlwind of overcommitment, you can still take creative control and declare that it’s Your Life, Your Rules. This is a book about rebooting your story at any point. It’s about starting over; taking inventory; and getting s... read more
A highly readable personal finance book that translates financial jargon and enables readers to ask the tough questions to protect their money and their financial well-being In today’s unsettled financial markets, where most pension plans died out with the twentieth century and where no one’s certain of the future of Social Security, hardworking people turn to financial advisors to guide them ... read more
Winner of the 2016 Brooklyn Eagles Literary Prize for Non-FictionMary Buser began her career at Rikers Island as a social work intern, brimming with ideas and eager to help incarcerated women find a better path. Her reassignment to a men's jail coincided with the dawn of the city's "stop-and-frisk" policy, a flood of unprecedented arrests, and the biggest jailhouse build-up in New York City hi... read more
From Ahmir "Questlove" Thompson of the award-winning hip-hop group the Roots, comes this vibrant book commemorating the legacy of Soul Train—the cultural phenomenon that launched the careers of artists such as Tina Turner, Stevie Wonder, the Jackson 5, Whitney Houston, Lenny Kravitz, LL Cool J, and Aretha Franklin. Questlove reveals the remarkable story of the captivating program, and his text... read more
The 10th Anniversary Edition of the book that has given hope and inspiration to thousands who are dealing with eating disorders "If you or someone you love has an eating disorder, this is the book to read."—Dr. Phil Jenni had been in an abusive relationship with Ed for far too long. He controlled Jenni’s life, distorted her self-image, and tried to physically harm her throughout their long aff... read more
"I think, every once in a while, about the life I should be living, the one I fully expected to be enjoying right about now. In the life I was supposed to have, my husband and I would be admiring the view from our waterfront home in the town where we were both born and raised. Good friends and neighbors would be next door, up the street, and all over the neighborhood. Our parents would live on... read more
Long before co-creating the bestselling Chicken Soup for the Soul series, Jack Canfield was already teaching the ancient principles of the Law of Attraction. Canfield has been consciously living in harmony with this universal law for more than thirty years, and his personal success is a testament to its power. Now, in Jack Canfield's Key to Living the Law of Attraction, he shares his knowledge... read more
Pour Me Some Whine/Wine will be the first wine pairing book for moms. Each of the 80 stories has a “reason” for moms to pour that glass tonight. The stories are arranged by 6 emotions in motherhood, and each story also has a witty wine pairing that contains a metaphor or something quirky to tie into the story itself. It is an uplifting book that cheerleads and supports moms.
Naked Calories reveals the naked truth about what you are eating and how your lifestyle habits may unknowingly be sabotaging your health. The secret lies in micronutrients, vitamins and minerals that are being stripped from your diet and depleted by your lifestyle. On the Caltons' six-year global research expedition they discovered that modern practices such as global food distribution, factor... read more
In Bed with the Badge is this generation's Burning Bed. Ms. Joyce and her brother, Raymond, tell the bloodcurdling story of how their father, Ray Sheehan, a retired NYPD detective, turned wife-beating into an art form by utilizing the very tactics he was taught in the police force. In a terrifying moment of kill or be killed, the authors' mother, Barbara Sheehan, shot her husband with his own ... read more
Reedsy is a community of top publishing professionals. Join Reedsy today to browse 1000+ profiles.
I'm a freelance editor and collaborator who worked at HarperCollins Publishers for nine years before going freelance. Non-fiction only.
20+ years editing, proofreading and indexing; some specialities include self-help, biography and history. Contact me for a polished result.