I am an English and editing student at Brigham Young University. I tend to gravitate toward the creative side of things, and have an uncanny knack for superfluous words. I plan to work as an editor within the publishing industry, and am particularly interested in book or magazine publishing.
- Copyediting, substantive editing, and proofreading articles for University publications according to Chicago Style, Church Style, and the BYU Style Guide.
- Gathering and checking sources.
- Writing stories, captions, blurbs, and social media posts for various BYU Speeches platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest.
Stowaway is a quarterly nonprofit travel magazine created and published as a project for the capstone class of the editing minor at Brigham Young University (BYU). Each Stowaway issue is created by an entirely different group of students during a short 14-week semester. All class members contribute to planning, writing, editing, designing, creating web content, and selling ads.
- Brainstorm and execute article ideas for the following publications: TWO Magazine, Housing Guide, and the New Student Orientation edition of the Daily Universe.
- Conduct interviews and research for content creation and implementation.
- Edit articles substantively; fact-check research and material; copyedit according to AP Style.
- Created an in-house style guide to enable consistency between publications.
- Manage scheduling and due-dates; created a weekly agenda for the TWO team.
- Edit course content for cohesiveness, clarity, and tone and add literary elegance to the text.
- Proofread content in order to ensure that it communicates effectively.
- Demonstrate initiative in project organization and finalize course materials.
- Assisted library patrons with research questions, the obtainment of materials, technology troubleshooting, and general use of library facilities.
- Became knowledgeable in physical and digital resources, including library research databases, periodicals, WorldCat, and WorkFlows.
- Demonstrated effective and positive communication with patrons in-person as well as via phone and email.
- Made revisions to manuscripts; created and revised source bibliographies.
- Managed the organization and maintenance of the Faculty Resource Center, for which I created and implemented an online card catalogue for ease of access throughout the department.
- Oversaw the use of rare and out-of-print religious texts.
- Initiated and completed various projects, such as digitization of old documents, audio interview transcribing, and proofreading.
Reedsy is a community of top publishing professionals. Join Reedsy today to browse 1000+ profiles.
I am an editor who loves helping authors revise and refine their work so it is clear, precise, and ready for publication.
A former editor of For Dummies books, I enjoy working with writers of all levels of experience to help them publish quality books.