**Please note for manuscript assessments or development edits, I have availability from April onwards. For query letter reviews, I have a two-week turnaround time.**
Do you need to build your confidence and help turning your idea into a book through book coaching?
Do you need a trusted editor to help add some polish to your manuscript with a developmental edit so it shines?
Or do you want a query letter review from an industry expert who knows what agents and publishers are looking for?
I'm a collaborative and insightful editor specializing in commercial genres including romance, historical, crime and thriller, and literary fiction. I always enjoy a book that's a little bit quirky, that has a magical element or a strong emotional hook, so if that sounds like your book then I'd love to work with you.
I'm keen to help support you on your writing journey whatever stage you're at. I have a decade of experience working at major publishing houses including Penguin Random House and HarperCollins so understand the current climate and what it takes to stand out from the crowd which will help polish your query letter before approaching literary agents. I've also been a mentor on the Write Now scheme so am experienced at coaching first-time writers through the writing journey, from turning that idea into words on a page, creating writing routines or honing writing craft.
I believe that the relationship between a writer and editor should be a collaborative partnership. I'm hard-working and committed to achieving the best possible result for your work. I'm here to give encouragement, advice and support, delivering editorial feedback sensitively. I'm friendly and flexible in my approach so always happy to discuss your project and agree on a clear brief before we decide to move forward.
I love a good story and I can't wait to read yours.
This is what published authors and literary agents have said about working with me:
'Katie is one of the most insightful editors I've ever had the pleasure of working with. I've felt that my writing was in trusted, safe hands. She sees the essence of my novels and then devises a plan to draw that essence out, allowing my voice to shine brighter. She is also a brilliant cheerleader, giving you confidence at the point you need it most!' M. A. KUZNIAR
'Working with Katie on my debut novel was a life-changing experience. I loved how supportive and patient she was and one of Katie's greatest strengths as an editor is her willingness to bounce ideas off authors and her ability in empowering authors to follow their instincts. I highly recommend Katie's services.' STACEY THOMAS
'Katie is like a Fairy Godmother when it comes to helping authors, whether it be turning a vague idea into a workable plot or bringing to life a scene that was lacking those vital ingredients. She gives generous support and offers invaluable advice.' MICHELLE RAWLINS
- Trailblazer Award 2018
- Acquired and edited a range of award-winning and bestselling commercial fiction including from magical realist romantasy MIDNIGHT IN EVERWOOD by M. A. Kuzniar, literary historical fiction THE REVELS by Stacey Thomas to romantic comedy DIAL A FOR AUNTIES by Jesse Sutanto.
- Mentored first-time writers and coached them through the publication process from completing a first draft to landing an agent and publishing deal.
Penguin Random House
- Acquired and edited bestselling commercial fiction as well as being part of the publishing teams behind Sunday Times Number One bestseller HOW TO BE FAMOUS by Caitlin Moran, Kindle bestseller THE PASSENGERS by John Marrs and the popular WINTERNIGHT TRILOGY by Katherine Arden.
- Mentored on the WriteNow programme, coaching my mentee through all aspects of publishing from working closely together editorially on her manuscript to helping her approach agents which led to securing a publishing deal.
Orion Publishing Group
- Acquired romantic comedy HOT MESS by Lucy Vine which was a bestseller and the company's bestselling debut of 2017. I was awarded a Trailblazer Award, a top industry award in recognition for my innovative publishing.
- Part of the publishing team behind Sunday Times and New York Times bestselling authors including Michael Connelly, Linwood Barclay, Erica James and Veronica Henry.
Katie has 20 reviews