Online marketing can be daunting for an author, I will help you grow your readership through your online presence. I can advise on
- Navigating the world of social media - or even to decide which platforms are right for you,
- Email marketing strategy and building a mailing list
- How to optimise your website to attract new readers
- Metadata and Amazon product description.
I can also develop a personalised marketing strategy for your book and author brand, including ebook price promotions, and execute online advertising campaigns.
I also have extensive experience in running promotions offline, so am able to work with you on wider marketing and advertising.
- Book Marketing Society: Highly Commended
- FutureBook Awards: Best Use of Digital in a Marketing Campaign (Shortlisted)
The Roald Dahl Literary Estate
As part of a small team, I led and implemented digital marketing strategy for the Roald Dahl brand. This includes:
- Managing and developing brand social media channels
- Management and growth of email marketing program through targeted activity, analysis and optimisation
- Preparation for GDPR
- Working on COPPA compliance
- Sourcing and introduction of social media management and social listening platforms
- Regular auditing and analysis on all digital channels to inform future activity
- Building strong relationships with the digital marketing teams at the Estate’s brand partners to maximise awareness and sales
I also worked closely with the Brand Marketing Manager and Marketing Director to develop and lead digital marketing campaigns such as Roald Dahl Day. I am responsible for using key promotional moments to deliver against business objectives, as well as to drive audience growth. This includes running online advertising campaigns including paid social activity, paid search and display, continually testing and optimising activity and post-campaign reporting
The Orion Publishing Group (Part of Hachette UK)
Moving into a specialist digital marketing role, I took on responsibility for the Group's digital marketing strategy across social media, email and content marketing, constantly analysing and optimising in order to increase performance. This included
- Responsibility for the annual digital marketing budget
- Overseeing the company's eCRM program across several lists and verticals
- Ensuring data collection and management adhered to legal requirements
In addition, I worked closely with the wider marketing team to plan and execute unique campaigns that targeted high-audience and high-share results. This included running paid social campaigns, search engine marketing, and online advertising.
The Orion Publishing Group (Part of Hachette UK)
In this role I took responsibility for executing integrated audience-led campaigns - devising strategy, making plans against set objectives, managing budgets. I also worked closely with publicity and sales colleagues, as well as promoting titles to retailers to support the sales team and secure promotion for titles in-store.
I developed strong and fruitful relationships with third parties for promotion, as well as design, creative, planning and PR agencies. I was also responsible for effective communication with authors and agents.
Walker Books, UK
Virgin Books (Part of Ebury Publishing, Random House)
Little, Brown Book Group UK
Roald Dahl Day 2017
I worked with the Roald Dahl team and partners to promote Roald Dahl Day 2017 - to maintain the momentum from the Roald Dahl Centenary in the previous year which had been the biggest Roald Dahl Day yet, and to work with all brand partners to amplify messaging:
- Devised our key messages around Roald Dahl's heroes, focusing the activity around the child heroes in the stories, and introducing the new hero, Billy, in the re-release of Billy and the Minpins
- Promotion of the Roald Dahl party pack to parents and teachers across website, social media and email marketing to meet the download target
- Building relationships with key influencers to engage adults and encourage them to help a child be a hero on Roald Dahl Day
- Worked with Twitter to design and roll out a dedicated Twitter emoji for #RoaldDahlDay
- Worked with brand partners to ensure consistent messaging in keeping with themes and brand guidelines
- Managing social media around the day itself, sharing partner messaging, and all the themed activities.
- The result was the 2nd biggest Roald Dahl Day (the centenary year being the biggest)
Marketing Campaign for Where'd You Go Bernadette by Maria Semple
I devised and implemented a marketing campaign to support paperback publication of this critically acclaimed novel, capitalising on the reviews and word-of-mouth from the hardback publication. The marketing activity included:
- Twitter campaign - using the hashtag #WheresBernadette calling on followers to spot Bernadette in various locations to win prizes
- Advertising campaign on London Underground - using the eye-catching cover artwork to increase recognition and featuring the incredible review quotes
- Takeover on Stylist.co.uk Books pages
- Mumsnet book of the month: advertising, giveaway and web chat with the author
Ian Rankin - Author website and digital marketing strategy
Working with an external web development agency, I devised and managed the relaunch of author Ian Rankin’s official website. The project focused on SEO opportunities and providing an improved user journey, as well as a more engaging experience for visitors. As a result, the site saw a 14% increase in unique users, a 5% increase in traffic from organic search and a 14% increase in session duration in the six months after the relaunch.
I also conceived a new digital marketing strategy designed to build awareness ahead of the release of Ian's new novel, which resulted in his highest pre-order and publication day sales up to that point.
Julian Fellowes's Belgravia
From the writer of Downton Abbey, Julian Fellowes' Belgravia was a serialised story originally sold online direct to consumers worldwide and read via the dedicated app or website.
In order to promote the series, we needed to access fans of Julian Fellowes and Downton Abbey, and to build a captive audience ahead of the release of the first episode.
As part of a close-knit, busy team working on I played a key role in building awareness among the target audience, establishing a Facebook following of 22,000 and an email marketing list of 16,000 subscribers.
I also devised and led a detailed, data-led eCRM programme throughout the series and beyond
Julia has 10 reviews