• Composed, designed, and emailed monthly newsletters to Mt. Vernon High School band parents and students.
• Promoted band and color guard programs by contacting local news organizations, managing band’s Facebook and Twitter accounts, and writing blog posts for band’s website.
Please see gallery for examples of newsletters and blog posts.
Temporary position (18 months) dedicated to revising taxpayer correspondence. To improve compliance and increase revenues, department wanted correspondence revised so that taxpayers will find it easier to understand. Department call center also noticed significant drop in number of inquiries.
• Collaborated with key stakeholders in each division (nine total) to inventory and rework each correspondence document.
• Edited documents for clarity, grammar, and consistency.
• Established consistent standards across divisions.
• Tracked flow of revision process using Microsoft SharePoint.
• Edited close to 500 documents.
Offering skills as freelance editor and writer to various publishers and businesses.
• Copy edited many projects:
o Numerous IT certification preparation guides and other technical publications for grammar, style, and spelling
o Various titles for Solution Tree Press, which specializes in publications for educators
o Several books in JIST’s Best Jobs series
o Courseware for training/consulting company that specializes in Microsoft SharePoint
o Alt-text and content on PowerPoint lecture slides for several medical textbooks
• Prepared materials for web-based assessment and assignment platform for higher education. Preparation involved using Snagit10 to mark up published documents for conversion to digital format and then verifying that conversions completed correctly.
• Wrote the following:
o Test-bank questions for IT certification guide
o Articles for online magazines aimed at teachers, activity worksheets for school textbooks, and sidebar material for online nursing courses
o Articles on various CPA-specific issues for INSIDE Public Accounting national newsletter
o Alt-text and content on PowerPoint lecture slides for collegiate science textbook
• Prepared articles extracted from published Microsoft Press books for posting to new Microsoft website. Preparation involved formatting, removing cross-references, and performing very light editing.
• Proofread hard copy and digital files for several publishers.
Started as copy editor and worked my way up.
• Development Editor, 1998 to 2001:
o Collaborated with authors to develop outlines and define reading audience of various computer books.
o Ensured that authors’ books were appropriate for series defined by company (Sams Teach Yourself, Sams Unleashed, Que’s Special Edition Using, etc.).
o Developed books covering various technology-based subjects, including Microsoft Access, Oracle, .NET, and ColdFusion.
o Freelanced for Pearson as a development editor for three months after my departure.
• Production Editor, 1992 to 1998:
o Managed individual projects from copy editing through proofreading to ensure adherence to schedule.
o Collaborated with development editors, copy editors, and proofreaders to ensure accuracy of text.
o Edited chapters for proper content, grammar, style, spelling, and formatting.
o Mentored new copy and freelance editors.
• Copy Editor, 1991 to 1992:
o Edited chapters for proper grammar, style, spelling, and formatting.
• Freelance Copy Editor, September 1990 to August 1991.
Sams Teach Yourself Visual C++.NET in 21 Days, 2nd Edition is a time- saving guide walking you through Visual C++ tools and wizards for building applications and places VC++ in the context of the new Visual Studio.NET environment. This book emphasizes using Visual C++ tools and wizards to generate code. Code examples are augmented with C++ language sidebars: Readers who need a refresher on the... read more
F. Scott Barker's Access 2002 Power Programming gives many practical techniques for the corporate and independent developer. The main topics covered are: The Root of Power Programming; Manipulating and Presenting Data; Extending Access with Interoperability; Adding the Professional Look and Distributing Applications; Managing Databases; Adding Finishing Touches. New features of Access 2002 wil... read more
Sams Teach Yourself More Visual Basic.NET in 21 Days provides step-by-step coverage of the most important new features of Visual Basic.NET and .NET that will allow programmers to begin creating rich Web applications and Web Services. Intermediate programmers gain the knowledge and skills to be able to design professional Windows applications and Web services. See how to use previous VB skills ... read more
This comprehensive guide and reference consists of 27 chapters divided into six parts of progressively increasing technical complexity and following the process of establishing a new Windows NT network, either as a self-contained entity or connected into a heterogeneous WAN. Glossary included. Annotation c. by Book News, Inc., Portland, Or.
The expert tutorial and reference guide for getting the most from Excel for the Macintosh!Helps readers maximize charts, databases, VBA, and moreQuick Start worksheet lessons get the user up and running-fastProvides complete coverage of all features and enhancements
Reedsy is a community of top publishing professionals. Join Reedsy today to browse 1000+ profiles.
Formerly of Random House, I’m a bibliophile and veteran editor with 26+ years of experience editing non-fiction for major book publishers.
I'm an agile and experienced copy editor who can help make your technology, business, or academic writing the best that it can be!