When I edit, my main concern is to preserve the author’s voice and intent while making the text flow as clearly and effortlessly as possible. Depending on the author’s wishes, I can take a light hand and focus strictly on typos and small errors, or I can make suggestions as to phraseology, structure, or other factors. I’ve written numerous articles, a nonfiction book about music and pop culture, and a podcast based on a memoir, so I am well attuned to both the life of the writer and the value of the editor.
- First Prize for “Lighter Columns” in 2010 NCPA Journalism Contest
Wrote, researched, and edited for a fast-moving content-driven educational platform developing a future-planning app for teenagers.
• Developed and maintained in-house style guide and “voice and tone” directives
• Familiarized writing teams with in-house style
• Guided new editors
• Edited textual content matched with images to fit with strict character counts
• Polished titles and subheads to enhance user engagement
I have worked on roughly 15 titles for this Massachusetts-based publisher, ranging from dystopian fiction to memoirs to books about current affairs. My work always entails nitty-gritty proofreading and fact-checking, and depending on the project, I'll often offer suggestions for rephrasing or query the author to clarify a point.
• Wrote feature articles and weekly contributions on music, books, the local arts scene, and popular culture; edited arts and culture pieces for fast-paced alt-weekly newspaper.
• Copyedited, fact-checked, and proofread alt-weekly newspaper for sense, grammar, syntax, accuracy, and readability. Enforced and maintained in-house style.
David has 1 review