I am a web designer and publishing professional.
I started my career at Grand Central Publishing, an imprint of Hachette, one of the big five publishers, before moving on to Digital Book World, a news website, and then Writers House, one of the world's largest and most prestigious literary agencies.
I then spent several years at Open Road Integrated Media, helping authors and publishers connect their books to the right audience. As of May 2023, I work at in a similar role at Bookshop.org, and I also work with authors independently to establish and optimize their digital platforms.
I know the current state of book publishing inside and out. I know what makes a good website. I know what a well-constructed marketing plan should look like. I know what a publisher expects from an author. And I know how an author can best set up their digital presence and market their books.
Authors I've built websites for and have written dozens of New York Times bestsellers and either won or been nominated for numerous awards, including the National Book Award, the Pulitzer Prize, the Man Booker Prize, and many more.
I can create an SEO-friendly and mobile-optimized site that will capture email addresses through lead magnets and best position you, your books and your brand. I can also advise on marketing and distribution strategy and be a sounding board for any of your concerns during the publishing process.
I work with authors across all genres and at all levels of their careers.
Website Services I Offer:
- Mobile optimization
- 3D book covers
- Hosting set-up
- Domain set-up and integration
- Email account set-up
- Social media integration
- Social media branding
- Newsletter branding
- Newsletter sign-up with lead magnet
- Custom graphics
- Landing pages
- Event and calendar pages
- Blog set-up
“Dan seamlessly transitioned and updated my old website, giving it a fresh new look and greatly enhanced ease of use (and ease of updating). He's great to work with—efficient, effective, resourceful and whip-smart. I feel lucky to have my site in his able hands!”
— Megan Abbott, Edgar award-winning author of THE FEVER and GIVE ME YOUR HAND
“Dan listened closely to make sure that I got exactly the site I had envisioned. As important, he is amazingly responsive and handles the behind the scenes of keeping the site updated, as well as running smoothly, at all times.”
— Heather Ann Thompson, Pulitzer Prize-winning author of BLOOD IN THE WATER
“When I needed a website to promote my comedy tour, I was referred to Dan. And I'm glad I was. He built a sleek website that could easily let my fans know when I was doing shows near them. I could not recommend working with him enough.”
— Jeremy Piven, Comedian and three-time Emmy award-winning actor
Open Road Integrated Media
I help authors and publishers connect their books to the right audience.
I founded my consultancy in 2019 to help authors with all their digital needs.
Writers House is one of the largest literary agencies in the world, representing authors at all stages of their careers. As digital director, I worked with our authors to create short- and long-term strategies to sell more books, build their audience, and increase discoverability.
My duties included:
• Building and updating websites for authors. I work with Squarespace, Wordpress and Wix.
• Guiding authors as they self-publish books across a variety of platforms; helping with ebook conversion, cover design, marketing strategies and securing promotions from retailers.
• Advising authors on social media and newsletter best practices and strategies.
• Creating Facebook ad campaigns for authors.
• Advising agents and authors on publishers' marketing plans.
• Staying up to date on latest digital trends, apps, tools and platforms to integrate into authors' careers.
Digital Book World
• Directed the editorial strategy for.
• Oversaw DBW’s content and programming, including blog posts, news stories, interviews, feature pieces, live webinars, handbooks and white papers.
• Oversaw a network of two dozen blog contributors, assigning and editing all stories.
• Analyzed site metrics to inform editorial strategy.
• Worked with SEO team to implement best practices.
• Curated and formatted DBW’s 6x/week newsletter, the DBW Daily.
• Coordinated DBW’s social media strategy and communications.
• Reported live from major industry conferences and fairs.
• Helped program and coordinate annual industry conference
Ursula K. Le Guin
I built the website for the literary estate of Ursula K. Le Guin, whose work won seven Hugo awards, six Nebula awards and a National Book Award for Young People's Literature.
I built the website for Mandy Berman, author of the literary novels PERENNIALS and THE LEARNING CURVE.
Megan Abbott - Edgar Award Winner
I built the website for Megan Abbott, the Edgar-winning author of the novels THE END OF EVERYTHING, DARE ME, THE FEVER and GIVE ME YOUR HAND.
Daniel has 48 reviews