Close this message
More than 22 years' experience on fiction and non-fiction titles as an editor, developer, writer and proofer – eBooks, online and in print.
Sign up below to request a quote.
Guinness World Records
I was responsible for managing Guinness World Records’ team of internal and external editorial freelancers, as well as coordinating the delivery of material from consultants, contributors and designers. I was also tasked with the editorial planning, management and delivery of digital projects, ensuring that the company’s print, TV and online content were turned into compelling apps. Other tasks included:
• Editing or creating content for the main book, GWR Gamers’ Edition (an annual dedicated to video game
world records), marketing brochures and PR material, licensed products (record-breaking kits,
educational books, card games, etc) and any other editorial projects in development
• Contributing around 1000 new or updated records for publication each year
• Working with agencies to make unique apps under my direction, plus editions for Kindle
• Representing the company at adjudications and live events in the UK and around the world
• Supervising the print run in Barcelona each year when on press
Guinness World Records
As GWR’s full-time deputy editor, I supported the editor-in-chief in planning, commissioning and editing the annual best-selling book. Working with freelance design agencies, photographers and consultants, I devised innovative and stimulating ways of presenting world record data, making the book fresh and appealing each and every year. Challenges included:
• Responsibility for my pages from concept to printed edition, creating content for GWR’s digital
channels and PR department in the process
• Managing the production of up to 20 foreign-language co-editions and assisting with the in-house
and external editorial requirements of licensees and their products
• Research and development of new technology for GWR covers (such as foils, holograms, lenticular lenses and LEDs), as well as the creative use of QR codes, trading cards, 3D photography and glow-in-the-dark features on select pages
• Deputising for the editor-in-chief at a senior management level when necessary
I freelanced for a number of companies as a sub-editor, editor and writer. My employers included The Daily Telegraph (2003–2005), where I produced two daily broadsheet pages for the TV desk as well as the ‘week ahead’ TV guide. Guinness World Records used me as a proofreader on their 2005 edition, and I worked in-house throughout the 2006 editorial process as a senior sub. Casual employers included the National Maritime Museum (proofreader), Eden Co. (feature writer), MetaWorld/TDK (editorial consultant), Aerospace Publishing (project editor) and IPC Media (sub-editor).
Working with a team of subs on the UK’s biggest women’s-interest web portal, my day-to-day duties involved editing channel homepages, subbing and rewriting features and chasing/approving copy from channel editors. As copywriter for the marketing department, I created ad campaigns for iVillage’s clients (Tesco, Gillette) and designed promotional homepages for special events (such as ‘Race for Life’ fund raisers), as well as timely offers and features.
Digital Channel Partners
I worked with the company’s entertainment and finance clients to help them devise and articulate their web content. This involved editing existing material into a web-friendly format as well as writing original copy and developing multiple style guides. I worked with designers to ensure that copy fitted templates and supported information architects by developing consistent language for navigation and page layout. Achievements included the creation of editorial teams in London and Dublin.
• Sole responsibility for the editorial planning, production and continuity of Midsummer’s highly
successful medical/health title, Inside the Human Body
• Creative and managerial guidance to a team of 20 full-time staff and over 160 specialist authors,
delivering two weekly titles on time and within budget
• Extensive in-theatre experience, photographing surgery and documenting procedures for regular
publication. I worked with surgeons post-operatively to ensure my features were detailed, 100 percent
accurate and properly illustrated with my photographs plus commissioned artwork
• Packaging my titles for numerous foreign markets and assisting with the creation of online editions
• Responsible (as editor) for the design and content of this fortnightly magazine. I was required to write
and sub copy, review products, conduct interviews for publication and attend conferences around the world. Strong journalism skills were essential for fulfilling briefs and gathering credible information from a variety of sources against extremely tight deadlines
• Working with authors, journalists, scientists and photographers to find the latest stories, as well as conducting the magazine’s own ‘paranormal investigations’ and exposés as regular features
• The X Factor was the most internationally successful magazine in its genre and had over one million readers worldwide (December 1997) – the highest rate of subscriptions in the publisher’s history
• Subbing/writing copy and editing sound and video for a CD-ROM
• Solving problems of hardware management and documenting software bugs
• Meticulous asset inventory, updated twice daily
• Maintaining a consistent, editorially balanced product for a ‘mid-Atlantic’ market
• Dazed and Confused magazine – contributor/sub-editor
• Comfort Zone – kiosk/video journalist
• Fourth Estate – manuscript proofreader
• Businesseurope.com – content editor
• Prion Multimedia – sub-editor
• Bliss magazine – sub-editor
• AA Guide to the British Countryside – senior sub-editor
• Macintosh and PC editorial/design DTP (Adobe CS5, Quark, MS Office); HTML/XML coding experience
• CIT certificate, Adobe Premier video editing/post-production, 1995
• BA (honours), grade 2:1, philosophy and sociology, Manchester University, 1991–1994
An editor of award-winning fiction and nonfiction with twenty years of devoted experience helping authors bring their projects to fruition.
North Bay, ON, Canada
Editor and proofreader with 25 years' experience offering freelance services to individual authors and publishers, both trade and academic.