I believe that great books can change the world, even long after their author has gone. That's why my mission in life is to help people create life-changing and world-changing books.
I've been a bookworm since my childhood days of naming my teddies after philosophers, which led me to an English Literature and Philosophy degree at the University of Birmingham.
Since then, I've worked in the publishing industry for 13 years, as an in-house editorial executive for an independent publisher, as a freelance editor digital nomad, and as a strategy consultant for the UK's biggest ghostwriting company. Five years ago, I founded The Book Shelf to help aspiring authors bring their nonfiction books to life, taking them from idea to bookshelf.
To date, I've worked on over 650 books with authors around the world, from first-timers to New York Times bestsellers, non-native speakers to TED talkers, and I'm also head judge for the Business Book Awards wellbeing category.
When it comes to nonfiction, I know what readers want and how to deliver it. As such, I'm proud to have helped authors become multi-category bestsellers, earn thousands for charity, win awards, land their dream job, start their own business, and bag traditional publishing deals.
Aside from my book knowledge and industry experience, I’m a conscientious individual who believes that we should all strive to make the world a better place for others, be it through our day-to-day actions, how we treat people, or writing a book. That's why I protect 10 acres of rainforest for every customer with the Rainforest Trust.
Finally, I travelled the world for a year, exploring different cultures and working from far and wide, and I believe that life is a journey of learning and improvement. My philosophical background translates to deep, critical thinking, so if you choose me as your editor, you’ll get a constructive and honest partner for your book project.
WHAT I OFFER:
· Coaching: Help to get you started and guidance through the self-publishing process so you’re not on your own, from idea to bookshelf.
· Critique (editorial assessment): Honest, challenging, and constructive feedback on your manuscript, giving you the tools to improve it yourself.
· Content editing (developmental / structural): A “big picture” hands-on edit to improve the book for you, including the structure, content, and message.
· Book proposal: Help to create a strong nonfiction book proposal and query letter to present your book in the best way to agents and publishers.
Together, we'll ensure that your book is the best it can possibly be—compelling, professional, and valuable. So, whether you're a first-time author, a non-native speaker, or someone who wants a guide on their journey to publishing, get in touch and let's bring your book to life!
- Finalist in Chamber of Commerce Awards 2022 for "Responsible Business"
- Highly Commended in "Made in the UK, Sold to the World" Awards 2023
- Finalist in Chamber of Commerce Awards 2021 for "Outstanding Contribution to Diversity & Inclusion"
- Finalist in Chamber of Commerce Awards 2022 for "People Development"
- Ethical Tick from The Good Shopping Guide
• Nonfiction book coach and editor offering coaching, critiques, and content editing.
• Line/copy editing, proofreading, and marketing services offered through my team.
• Main genres are personal development, philosophy, business, and tech.
• Worked with authors in 22 countries who have gone on to win awards, become bestsellers, land TED talks, get new jobs, start new companies, create courses from their books, and even win OBEs!
• Protect 10 acres of land for each project with the Rainforest Trust.
• Certified with the Ethical Tick from The Good Shopping Guide.
• Proofread over 400 books and copyedited over 50, many by non-native English writers.
• Copyedited over 20 books for business publisher Impackt Publishing.
• Trained technical editors to improve editorial quality.
• Was responsible for house style guide and all editorial guidelines.
• Assessed and proofread around 1000 blurbs and title information sheets.
Ameesha has 79 reviews