With over ten years of experience in the arts and culture and writing world, I'm ready to help you tackle your next project. I'm the author of two successful nonfiction books (see below) and have a PhD in American literature. Whether you're looking to shape the argument of your nonfiction work or need help with the structure of your novel, I'm the editor for you. Working on a play? I have years of dramaturgical experience with some of Broadway's top writers including Terrence McNally, Christopher Durang, and Bill Irwin, honing their work to bring it to the stage. I've taught English composition and literature to students at many universities including Hunter College, Temple University, and the University of Delaware, and I am equipped to finesse your words and ideas into smooth, grammatically correct prose.
Strategize with the Center for Jewish Life and Learning board on allocation priorities while serving as the on-the-ground liaison for organizational grantees, helping them with nonprofit “best practices,” grantmaking, evaluation, and community building.
• Secured a multi-year $600,000 grant plus other funding for the Center’s One Happy Camper program and oversee the Center’s $700,000 camp scholarship program including program outreach, marketing, branding, budgeting, and donor cultivation.
• Established the Center’s first-ever Innovation Fund and serve as the Center’s expert on innovation.
• Created EDJE, a skills-based workshop series for nonprofit professionals.
• Serve as the lead staff person for Jewish Pride, Federation’s LGBTQ affinity group.
Oversaw all programming for The Gershman Y, Center City Philadelphia’s premier Jewish arts and culture organization, and curated the organization’s artistic vision. Managed two program directors and oversaw their programming and budgets.
• Created the Philadelphia Jewish Music Festival, a city-wide festival which launched May 2013.
• Created The Philadelphia Seder, an annual arts and cultural interpretation of Passover, which sold out its first year with over 200 people in attendance, March 2012.
• Lead producer for the show Bella: The Color of Love, a co-production with Philadelphia Theatre Company and the Philadelphia Museum of Art that was a featured event in the 2011 PIFA Festival (Philadelphia International Festival of the Arts), April 2011.
• Built new producing partnerships with over twenty community organizations to widen The Y’s reach, diversity, and inclusiveness.
• Helped oversee new marketing campaigns to rebrand and refocus institutional image.
• Doubled the number of programs that The Y produced over a two-year period and created programming that served 2,000 people each year.
• Collaborated on Gershman Y fundraising efforts and development strategy including making successful asks with donors, securing in-kind donations, writing successful grant applications, and overseeing major special event fundraisers.
Literary Manager/Dramaturg, Philadelphia Theatre Company, Philadelphia, PA, February 2005 – August 2008
Managed the literary department for Philadelphia Theatre Company, an award-winning regional theater that specializes in the premiere of contemporary American theater.
• Developed and dramaturged world premieres by major writers including Terrence McNally, Bill Irwin, and Christopher Durang.
• Produced and developed STAGES, a new play reading series for the company. Responsible for all casting, director selection, and budgeting for the series.
• Organized, along with a team of colleagues and peers in the Philadelphia theater community, the city’s first New Play Festival.
• Wrote multiple articles and conducted interviews for Playwise Magazine that was given out at every production.
• Led talkbacks and on-stage interviews for all company productions. Highlights of live interviews include discussions with award-winning playwrights Doug Wright, William Finn, David Henry Hwang, Austin Pendleton, Terrence McNally, and Lynn Nottage
Broadway musicals are one of America’s most beloved art forms and play to millions of people each year. But what do these shows, which are often thought to be just frothy entertainment, really have to say about our country and who we are as a nation?The Great White Way is the first book to reveal the racial politics, content, and subtexts that have haunted musicals for almost one hundred years... read more
Tony Kushner's award-winning epic play Angels in America was remarkable not only for its sensitive engagement of Jewish- American and gay culture but also for bringing these themes to a mainstream audience. While the play represented a watershed in American theater and culture, it belies a hundred years of previous attention to queer Jewish identity in twentieth-century American literature, dr... read more
Winner of the 2016 National Jewish Book Award in the category of Education and Jewish IdentityThe Jewish world is changing before our eyes. The traditional notions of what it means to be a Jew, what Jewish organizations look like and what Jewish leadership means are no longer working, leaving many Jewish organizations in a struggle for survival. Many Jewish leaders are afraid that this will on... read more
Authors: Terrence McNally Publisher: Dramatists Play Service, Inc. Keywords: acting, Pages: 72 Published: 2008-10-24 Language: English Category: Humor, Entertainment, ISBN-10: 0822222450 ISBN-13: 9780822222453 Binding: Paperback List Price: 8.00 USD
Full Length, Musical / 4m, 3f /Unit Sets Nominated for a Drama Desk Award for Best Music Set in 1952 in Macao, China, ADRIFT IN MACAO is a loving parody of film noir movies. Everyone that comes to Macao is waiting for something, and though none of them know exactly what that is, they hang around to find out. The characters include your film noir standards, like Laureena, the curvacious blonde,... read more
Reedsy is a community of top publishing professionals. Join Reedsy today to browse 1000+ profiles.
A publisher, copy-editor and proofreader with over 30 years' experience working for a wide range of publishers as well as working freelance.
A conscientious and dedicated editor with nine years' experience. I build good working relationships and strive to exceed expectations.