I’m a Master’s-educated book nerd and publishing professional with fourteen years of experience at Harlequin, the largest publisher of romance fiction in the world and a division of HarperCollins. I have copyedited and proofread hundreds of novels across a multitude of imprints for both new and established authors, many of whom have made the New York Times and USA TODAY bestseller lists. Recently, I copyedited Colleen Hoover and Tarryn Fisher's instant #1 New York Times bestseller Never Never, the launch title for Canary Street Press. While romance and HEAs are my specialty, I am confident with a wide range of projects. With my industry and genre expertise, I can help polish your masterpiece into a publication-ready book your audience will love!
If you team up with me, you will receive clear, respectful markup and queries that refine your unique voice and empower you with knowledge. When I meticulously review a manuscript, I look for grammar, spelling and punctuation errors to ensure the accuracy, clarity and consistency of your writing. I also perform fact-checking and pay close attention to high-level issues like discrepancies in the plot or characterization. Think of a copyedit as a deep clean and a proofread as a final sweep before publication. Ultimately, my role is one of support, to strengthen the mechanics of your storytelling so that it connects with readers as seamlessly as possible. When we work together, your goals are my top priority. I am passionate about inclusive, diverse fiction, and I can't wait to see what you've created!
For copyediting jobs, my "tools" include:
*the most recent version of the Chicago Manual of Style
*the most recent version of Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary (US English)
*a customized style sheet I create for you, which includes any special styling and detailed word, character and place name lists
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Book & Magazine Publishing (Centennial College)
- Master of Arts in English (York University)
- Honors Bachelor of Arts in English (University of Toronto)
Harlequin Enterprises Limited
• Editorial: Deliver high-quality copyediting services of a large volume of materials, including manuscripts, cover copy and press releases. Ensure publications are as error-free as possible by checking and correcting spelling, grammar, punctuation and mechanics; tracking discrepancies and continuity errors; researching and verifying facts; and making clear, concise suggestions for revision.
• Management: Log and assign English-translation manga comics (2015-2018); marketing/PR documents (2019-2021); and HarperCollins and Carina Press manuscripts (2022-present) to a roster of freelance copyeditors.
• Communication/Quality Assurance: Evaluate copyedited manuscripts and provide direction and feedback to freelancers. Develop and update house style as needed to maintain consistency, quality and efficiency.
• Diversity & Inclusion: Suggest alternatives for or replace biased, harmful language and themes across all documents. Monitor and know what the current dialogues are in DEI, and field queries from freelancers and internal clients.
Harlequin Enterprises Limited
• Proofread typeset manuscripts in Adobe InDesign for grammar, spelling, consistency, continuity and adherence to house style/Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary/Chicago Manual of Style.
• Accurately insert corrections requested by author, editor or freelancer.
• Correct basic text-flow and formatting issues in InDesign.
• Ensure the repaginated book is ready to print.
• Proofread ancillary materials, including covers, front matter, sales catalogues and marketing copy, and verify title, ISBN, author name, price.
• Query editors concerning inconsistencies and potentially libelous or offensive content.
• Check printer’s proofs of nonfiction titles and cross-check index entries.
• Perform quality checks on ePub files and make corrections using BBEdit.
Taryn has 2 reviews