Currently, I am a freelance editor who enjoys working on nonfiction books and scientific papers, primarily in medicine and the humanities, while taking care of an active household consisting of a blue merle sheltie, several cats, colorful koi, and finches.
- Award for outstanding achievement and commitment as Managing Editor to Critical Care Medicine at the 25th anniversary of the journal, January 1997
- PUBLICATION: Dreams and Life, in “26 Angels: Words for a Healing Heart” by Oumar Dieng. Dedicated to the families and all of us affected by the Sandy Hook tragedy, a series of haikus evoke imageries that conjure treasured memories, raucous laughter, sunny smiles, and brilliant childhood and lives abruptly terminated. These incidents stir us to move forward to a better tomorrow, unmarred and hopeful.
- PUBLICATION: "Our Personal Gaman: A Poetic Palette in the Circle of Life" by Stephanie Kawada, Archway Publishing, 2023. "Gaman" is a Zen Buddhist term that expresses perseverance and stoic discipline in the face of adversity. This anthology of poems—free verse and haiku—represents the story of our family which has been dealt a certain deck of cards and is challenged to make certain choices. The poems depict the dilemmas of our family members as well as portraits of furry companions and people who have made an impact in our lives and have motivated us to gain strength and cope with utmost grace and choose a better path. Weaving a poignant and inspiring story, this anthology aims to remind us to persevere and always move forward, despite our challenges and afflictions, and not allow personal turmoil to occupy center stage.
- MA, French Literature, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Teaching Certificate, Secondary Level, University of Wisconsin-Madison
IEEE Computer Society
Collaborated with conference chairs to organize and produce conference proceedings (total = 50 projects/year). Worked with chairs and artists to design and finalize cover art. Formatted and finalized front matter and author index and built complete electronic documents into a single PDF file for submission to the printer.
Prepared promotional products and CD-ROMs at the chair’s request. Designed CD labels and final layouts for more than 35 CD-ROMs for conferences, a compilation CD-ROM of 11 conference proceedings (750 papers), and a CD-ROM of 1,660 files (7,000 pages).
I had the following responsibilities:
Edited (Excel template) mathematics and language arts lessons—using proper grammar and level of instruction appropriate to grade-school children.
Developed a company style manual.
Prepared instructive material for the Web; condensed a 60-page document to 4 pages.
PRESENT FREELANCE EXPERIENCE
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: Edit books: health-related and medical.
CodeMantra: Edit entire content for nonfiction books: general; medical; humanities.
diacriTech: Edit entire content for nonfiction books: medicine; general.
PRIOR FREELANCE EXPERIENCE
MBL Communications, New York, NY: Edited articles on psychiatry.
Castle Connolly Institute, New York, NY: Edited a book on medicine.
Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore, MD: Edited articles for medical journals.
Demand Media Studios, Santa Monica, CA: Copyedited articles.
Cadmus Communications, Columbia, MD: Edited articles for medical journals.
IEEE Computer Society, Los Alamitos, CA: Edited and proofed conference proceedings; produced
Shores Editorial Services: edit, format, and finalize text for conference proceedings and medical journals.
American Journal Experts: Edit manuscripts on medicine; critical care medicine; endocrinology; psychology; psychiatry.
Enago: Edit medical manuscripts.
Society of Critical Care Medicine
My 25-year career as Managing Editor involved the following responsibilities:
Met manufacturing deadlines of Critical Care Medicine (monthly publication), New Horizons (quarterly publication), Special Publications (three annual textbooks), and Pediatric Critical Care Medicine (quarterly publication).
Edited and read every article in all journals.
Planned an annual budget and worked to stay within the financial constraints outlined by the Society of Critical Care Medicine; recommended plans for increasing the publications’ revenues.
Organized the departmental workload and supervised the editorial and production staffs.
Produced the organization’s Style Manual to ensure style consistency in all publications.
Recommended software programs and procedures to facilitate the electronic production of the journals.
Communicated with authors and sponsors interested in producing special symposium supplements and assisted with the organization, editing, cover design, and final production of supplements.