I love collaborating with a writer to find the "ah-ha" moments of a great revision. In my 23 years as an editor, I've edited New York Times bestsellers and helped clients on their way to deals with Big Five publishers, foreign publishers, and production companies, so I can also help your manuscript and query stand out. I'm also the author of The Skin and Its Girl (Ballantine 2023). By being a working writer *and* editor, I have unique insight into how to keep the creative fire burning as you move from critique to revision to submission. My feedback tailors my expertise to your needs; I have an MFA from the Program for Writers at Warren Wilson College and a bachelor's in creative writing from Carnegie Mellon University. I'm a sought-after writing instructor, too, at online literary organizations like The Loft and The Center for Fiction. Currently, I'd love to work with intermediate-level writers, writers who are avid readers within their genre, and/or writers with exceptional expertise in their subject matter.
"She had wonderful insights about my manuscript that helped me see it in a new light, as well as offering additional advice about the actual editing process, writing craft in general, and more. I was very impressed by the sheer volume of feedback, which seems to be way more than other editors are offering."
--Natalya Bakay, September 2021
"I've worked with Sarah twice (detailed editorial critique and copy edit) and it was a fantastic experience both times. Her work quality is superb and she's communicative throughout the entire process. Through her edits and constructive feedback, Sarah always made me feel like I was in safe hands, all while encouraging me to grow and expand my boundaries as a writer."
--Skylar Cheung, August 2021
- Rona Jaffe Creative Writing Fellow
- Elizabeth George Foundation grant
- Arabic Language and Culture
- MFA in Fiction, Warren Wilson College
- B.A. in Creative Writing, Carnegie Mellon University
- Independent editor and sole proprietor of my business for 21 years (company name redacted at Reedsy's request);
- Work one-on-one with authors to prepare manuscripts for submission and sharpen their craft;
- Refine and consult on submissions materials
- Adhere to the Editorial Freelancers Association's code of fair conducting in providing ethical services at a fair professional rate
Editorial Freelancers Association
- Twitter volunteer team leader, Editorial Freelancers Association (2015–2021)
- Diversity Initiative member, Editorial Freelancers Association (2018–2020)
Carnegie Mellon University Press
- Submissions reader, manuscript selection
- Manage author communication during publishing process
- Attend conferences and perform publicity services for the press
- Editing of accepted manuscripts for flow and clarity
Sarah has 20 reviews