PERSONAL DETAILSI'm the published author of the YA dystopian Metal Heart series. In my spare time, I run a Little Free Library in my community and love adding client books to its shelves. Books and stories in all forms (books, comics, movies, TV, video games) are an integral part of my life.
"I had the opportunity to work with Melinda through Ooligan Press for my debut novel, Laurel Everywhere. Not only is Melinda a fantastic editor, but she's also incredibly supportive - her warm notes and words of encouragement always made my day! Melinda has been a joy to work with."
- Erin Moynihan, "Laurel Everywhere" (YA fiction)
"Melinda played an instrumental role in the developmental edit of my novel "Faultland" and came up with a brilliant tool to help track plot points in my multiple POV narrative. She is a bright, rising star in publishing, and since she is also an author, she has a broad understanding of both sides of the editorial desk."
- Suzy Vitello, "Faultland" (literary, speculative fiction)
"Melinda has a great eye for story and knows how to guide an author. I always felt like the door was open to ask questions or to get clarification on editorial corrections. I also really appreciated how Melinda handled the few times that I pushed back against suggestions--she was thoughtful and understanding in ways that made me feel comfortable enough to disagree. And that's important."
- Trace Kerr, "The Names We Take" (YA dystopian fiction)
"Melinda is a dream editor to work with! All of her ideas are thorough and insightful, and she backs them up. She's one of the most detailed editors I've ever worked with and my book wouldn't be the same without her. Melinda is also wonderful at answering questions about her editorial notes, making sure you never get overwhelmed or discouraged no matter the scale of the edit. If you need an editor, she should definitely be at the top of your list!"
- Taylor Thompson, Story Design Specialist at Crazy Maple Studios, Author of Fight and Knockout (YA fiction)
- Assist in copyediting and proofreading manuscripts, ancillary materials, cover copy, marketing materials, and website copy
- Assist in tracking titles’ progress and updates schedules based on communication with authors and editors
- Coordinate peer-review process of manuscripts and development editions
- Oversee the permissions process for manuscripts
- Handle multiple projects while maintaining high standards of quality control and meeting strict deadlines, often under tight production schedules
- Manage book publication timelines for editorial and production schedules
- Coordinate communications with authors, publishers, freelancers, and printers
- Provide guidance and project support to press interns
- Write and edit content for books and marketing materials
- Review manuscript submissions and provide acquisitions suggestions to publishers
- Lead the content edit, copy edit, typecode, and proofread of print and electronic books
- Manage project based editing teams, compile edits, and write notes
- Construct and supervise editorial production schedule and coordinate with other departments
- Correspond with authors, individual book editors, and project team managers
- Provide professional freelance writing, developmental editing, line editing, and book coaching services
- Member of the Northwest Editors Guild, ACES, Willamette Writers, Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators
Reedsy is a community of top publishing professionals. Join Reedsy today to browse 1000+ profiles.
Experienced copyeditor and proofreader of books and magazines in all genres and age categories, but my speciality is in teen books.
Developmental editor and former literary fiction editor at two-time Man Booker-winning publisher Oneworld Publications