I am a frequent writer and editor of news articles, technical reports, and books primarily on urban planning, transportation, public health, land use and environmental policy topics. My experience includes writing, copyediting, proofreading, managing production schedules, hiring freelancers, overseeing copyrights and permissions, and art acquisition. I have used the Chicago Manual of Style, MLA style guide and the APA style guide, and have used and maintained an in-house style guide for publications and presentations. Here is a list of some of my published work:
• Design Review: Guiding Better Development. 2018. (Co-author.) PAS Report 591. Chicago: American Planning Association. 88pp.
• Creating Planning Documents. 2017. (Editor.) PAS Report 589. Chicago: American Planning Association. 104pp.
• Local Planning Agency Management. 2016. (Editor.) PAS Report 582. Chicago: American Planning Association. 119pp.
• Coastal Zone Management. 2016. (Co-author & editor.) PAS Report 581. Chicago: American Planning Association. 84pp.
• Technical Guidance Manual for Sustainable Neighborhoods and Neighborhood Development Floating Zone. December 2012. (Editor.) Washington, D.C.: U.S. Green Building Council.
• Green Community. 2011. (Editor.) Washington, D.C.: National Building Museum and APA Planners Press.
• Evolution of Urban Form. 2010. (Copyeditor.) Typology for Planners and Architects. Chicago: APA Planners Press.
• Delta Urbanism: The Netherlands. 2010. (Editor.) Chicago: APA Planners Press.
• Smart Codes: Model Land-Development Regulations. 2007. (Co-author and editor.) PAS Report 556. Chicago: American Planning Association. 260pp.
DIGITAL AND PRINT MAGAZINE ARTICLES
• “San Francisco Accessory Dwelling Unit Legalization Program.” Forthcoming November 2018 at
• “Akron Property Tax Abatement Program.” November 2018. Forthcoming November 2018 at
• “Eat Better, Move More, Work Together.” Planning, February 2017.
• “Fifteen Great Places in America: Neighborhoods, Streets and Public Spaces.” Planning. December 2016.
• “Thirty Great Places in America: Neighborhoods, Streets and Public Spaces.” Planning. December 2013.
I worked with municipalities, neighborhood groups, advisory committees and individuals to prepare plans and zoning and development regulations that support healthy, sustainable and equitable communities. In 2016 I was inducted into the College of Fellows of the American Institute of Certified Planners, the highest honor conferred upon professional urban planners.
• Consultant, Downtown Champaign Zoning Policy and Form-Based Code Rewrite, City of Champaign, Ill. (Subcontractor to Teska Associates, Evanston)
• Lead consultant, Zoning Ordinance Rewrite, City of Blue Island, Ill.
• Senior consultant, Zoning and Subdivision Code Rewrite, Territorial Government of the U.S. Virgin Islands (In affiliation with Rutgers University and Duncan Associates)
• Co-lead consultant, Zoning Ordinance Rewrite, City of Wauwatosa, Wis. (In affiliation with Duncan Associates)
• Consultant, Missoula County (Mont.) Lolo Regional Plan Update Implementation. (Subcontractor to Soapbox Enterprises, Inc., Corbett, Ore.)
• Managed and completed large- and small-scale projects for municipal clients that included white papers, policy analysis, special studies, and revisions to zoning, subdivision, and land development codes.
• Drafted proposals, statements of qualification, and budgets to market the firm to prospective clients.
• Built relationships with outside subcontractors to meet specific client needs and requests.
• Prepared and delivered conference presentations and lectures at national and regional planning conferences, graduate schools of planning, public health seminars, and other events.
• Prepared and monitored project budgets and work plans for all projects.
• Assisted the firm’s principal-in-charge on other client projects.
• Conducted in-depth assessments of plans and development codes; presented recommendations to clients.
• Drafted new or substantially revised sign and billboard ordinances for city and county clients: Henderson, Nev.; Los Angeles County, Calif.; Gurnee, Ill., Matanuska-Susitna Borough, Alaska and Tyler, Tex.
• Directed large, multi-phase research initiatives on built environment and public health, comprehensive and sub-area planning, urban design, state enabling legislation, zoning, and transit-supportive land use regulations.
• Worked with senior personnel at private foundations, federal agencies, and state agencies to secure project funding and to meet program goals and requirements of funders.
• Raised more than $1 million in project research support between 1999 and 2006 from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, the Rockefeller Foundation, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, among other sources.
• Authored research monographs, magazine articles, and website content for each project (see list below).
• Developed and led training programs as part of each research initiative including professional trainings, conference presentations, audio conferences and webinars, invitation-only workshops, external briefings, and testimony.
• Served as APA’s chief spokesperson to national print and broadcast media on planning matters.
• Represented the American Planning Association on international training initiatives in the Czech Republic, Brazil (in partnership with the World Bank), and the UK.
• Served as editor of the PAS Memo, a bi-monthly publication for professional planners.
• Served as assistant editor for Planning Advisory Service reports.
• Worked with senior management on internal initiatives and committees, including the national conference program selection committee, APA Bookstore book selection committee, and the APA National Planning Awards.
• Launched and managed “Tuesdays at APA,” a monthly speaker series open to the public.
• Managed and mentored research associates and graduate students.
• Represented the Research Department on organization’s re-branding committee.
Why are so many of our urban environments so resistant to change? The author tackles this question in her comprehensive guide for planners, designers, and students concerned with how cities take shape. This book provides a fundamental understanding of how physical environments are created, changed, and transformed through ordinary processes over time. Most of the built environment adheres to a... read more
The health of our planet and ourselves depends on how we plan, design, and construct the world between our buildings. Our increasing dependence on fossil fuels over the last century has given us unprecedented individual mobility and comfort, but the consequences are clear. Climate change, sprawl, and reliance on foreign oil are just a few of the challenges we face in designing new-and adapting... read more
Reedsy is a community of top publishing professionals. Join Reedsy today to browse 1000+ profiles.
I'm a True Crime author of five books and editor of others. A Nov. 2018 movie with John Travolta based on one of mine is now streaming.
Experienced, passionate, and versatile non-fiction/fiction editor. Clients include Al Gore, Garth Brooks, Daniel Handler (Lemony Snicket).