I currently have one opening for a new client in March 2024 and another in April 2024.
I am a seasoned developmental editor, ghostwriter, and published author with 32 years of experience. I have helped hundreds produce their best work and become better writers. I would like to do so for you, too. My interdisciplinary Ivy League Ph.D. allows me to move seamlessly across multiple areas of nonfiction. Because I have decades of experience as an editor and formal writing instructor, I work effectively with writers of varied experience and ability.
I have developed a unique editorial assessment process that includes a detailed report that addresses the "big picture" while also providing detailed, chapter-level feedback. From there, I use a customized color-coded and symbol-coded checklist system that breaks down every element of the revision and guides the author through each step of that process. Finally, I include with every assessment a follow-up coaching session to aid authors in the revision process.
You may be looking at my picture and asking yourself, "What's that on her head?" It is a Quaker bonnet that forms a part of my religious observance. While I keep my work and religious lives separate, the values of Quakerism, such as integrity, social equity, and clarity, guide my approach to working with authors. Together, they also inform my underlying work philosophy: that each piece of writing is a form of storytelling and that each writer has a unique voice and truth to share through their narrative.
"I am excited to tell you that because of you, I have been asked to send my manuscript to a Literary Agent! Woohoo! I know that your professionalism, accuracy, timeliness, and patience while working with me were the only reasons I was asked to send my manuscript! Again, thanks so much for your help!!!"
"Martha is wonderful to work with. Her color-coded editorial assessment is detailed, organized, and to the point. Our zoom meetings were very helpful…I really like the way she follows up, confirms, and communicates, all with precision and clarity...Martha is an empathetic coach who has me pointed in the right direction as we move onto developmental editing. I look forward to continuing working with Martha and feel fortunate I found her through Reedsy."
My experience in numbers:
33 years of editing
28 years of professional writing experience
14 years of teaching college writing
4 years of academic editing
7 years of freelance editing
4 years of book coaching
1 Ph.D. from Brown University
11 academic articles published
2 #1 Amazon new releases authored
2 #1 Amazon bestsellers authored
- Bayard Rustin Center Angelic Troublemaker Award, Guilford College
- Best Organizational Advisor, Guilford College
- Faculty Hearts and Hands Award, Guilford College
• Clients include Cactus Communications, academics, artists, and self-help authors.
• Maintained 100% deadline conformance across hundreds of manuscripts.
• Provided proofreading, copy editing, and structural editing of abstracts, research proposals, journal articles, book chapters, edited volumes, and book-length manuscripts.
• In November 2017 received a commendation in an internal newsletter from Cactus Communications as a “Positive Participator,” with the following note: “Martha’s relatively new to our systems and processes but has grasped our service scopes well and is quick to clarify any potential issues. She’s maintained a high QI [internal quality index rating] and has steadily increased her productivity on CACTUS assignments.”
• In December 2017, January 2018, February 2018, and March 2018 was among the 10 editors with highest combined productivity and internal quality index ratings for my division at Cactus Communications.
• Served as a peer reviewer for the International Journal of Health Policy and Management, the Journal of Health and Social Behavior, Sociological Compass, and Women’s Health Issues.
• Reviewed introductory sociology textbooks for McGraw-Hill, Oxford, SAGE Pine Forge, and Thomson Wadsworth.
Brown University, Tufts University, Guilford College, UTEP, Smith College, and Providence College
• Served at Providence College, Smith College, University of Texas at El Paso, Guilford College, Tufts University, and Brown University.
• Developed and taught courses in sociology, environmental studies, history, and women’s studies, including general education courses in which formal writing instruction was a primary component.
• Developed effective classroom and online pedagogies for teaching writing to students from a variety of backgrounds including first-generation college students, second language learners, and adult students.
• Served as an advisor for honors theses and capstone projects, mentoring student through the processes of development, research, drafting, revision, and defense.
• Provided for colleagues copy editing and substantive editing of grant proposals, articles, book chapters, and book manuscripts.
Indiana Family and Social Services Administration
• Tracked and measured over a three-year period the effectiveness of a voluntary home visitation program for a cohort of approximately 2300 families living in poverty.
• Collaborated closely with supervisor, stakeholders, and research associates in the research process and dissemination of findings.
Martha E has 45 reviews