Since 2011, I have worked as a freelance editor, focusing on children's books (picture books, middle grade, young adult). I also edit adult fiction and non-fiction, but I am not well versed in genre fiction. I love a story that will make me laugh, and I don't mind a bit of a love story as well. My favorite novels are GILEAD by Marilynne Robinson, TUCK EVERLASTING by Natalie Babbitt, THE PARTICULAR SADNESS OF LEMON CAKE by Aimee Bender, and THE GRAPES OF WRATH by John Steinbeck.
I have worked with books for ten years. My experience includes positions as a bookseller at Borders, a marketing intern at Candlewick Press, a publicity intern at Abrams Books for Young Readers/Amulet Books, a literary assistant at the Charlotte Sheedy Literary Agency, and an editorial assistant at Atheneum Books for Young Readers and Margaret K. McElderry Books in the Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing Division.
I am also an author. My fiction is represented by Alexandra Penfold at Upstart Crow Literary. My non-fiction has been published by Verily Magazine. Visit my blog, What I Learned While Writing a Novel, for interviews with industry professionals/authors and to get to know more about my perspective on the written word.
• Contributed lifestyle and culture articles on food allergies, miscarriage, and childbirth options, with over 10K shares
• Acquired and edited middle grade novels
• Read and evaluated picture book, middle grade, and young adult submissions
• Wrote flap and marketing copy
• Brainstormed marketing and publicity strategies, as well as jacket and interior design
• Developed and maintained relationships with authors, agents, and illustrators
• Prepared and routed manuscript transmittals, and contract, copyright, CIP, and book estimate paperwork
• Oversaw departmental interns
• Acted as departmental liaison and as point of contact for backlist tiles
• Read and evaluated a broad range of manuscripts, including fiction and non-fiction, adult and children’s
• Trafficked contracts, submissions, checks, and royalties
• Corresponded with authors and editors to facilitate book publication process
• Managed administrative duties, especially maintenance of physical and electronic filing systems
• Drafted press releases and email blasts, organized author tours, answered fan email, compiled contest entries
• Produced event kits for use by bookstores and other vendors in conjunction with book releases
• Created a comprehensive list of state children’s book awards in the U.S. and Canada for imprint submissions
• Assembled and submitted materials for book award entries
• Corresponded with major reviewers, produced press kits, researched locations for national book tours
• Performed administrative duties: assembled mailings, updated databases, compiled press clippings
• Promoted from cashier within a month of hire, became a key resource for children’s publications
• Created more efficient organizational structure in bulk supply of children’s materials
• Implemented monthly merchandise changes in children’s section displays to fulfill corporate protocol
In this timely tale of immigration, two cousins learn the importance of family and friendship.A year of discoveries culminates in a performance full of surprises, as two girls find their own way to belong. Mexico may be her parents’ home, but it’s certainly not Margie’s. She has finally convinced the other kids at school she is one-hundred percent American—just like them. But when her Mexican ... read more
Joseph’s sophomore year is about to begin, but his new start is a false one. At his father’s request Joseph moved in with Aunt Shirley, Uncle Todd and cousin Jasmine over the summer, to distance himself from his mother’s drug problems and the dangerous characters she interacts with. But efforts to keep Joseph safe have had tragic results for Jasmine: Momma’s boyfriend Bow, on one of his regula... read more
Amalia deals with loss while learning about love and her cultural heritage in this tender tale from acclaimed authors Alma Flor Ada and Gabriel M. Zubizarreta.Amalia’s best friend Martha is moving away, and Amalia is feeling sad and angry. And yet, even when life seems unfair, the loving, wise words of Amalia’s abuelita have a way of making everything a little bit brighter. Amalia finds great ... read more
Peter Stewart is a dead ringer for the legendary King Arthur, and because of that, everyone in Carlion believes that he is the Child of the Prophecy, destined to destroy the Shadow Lord. But Peter doesn’t want to be a hero; all he wants to be is left alone.Lily Portman also fits the prophecy. Having spent her entire life as an orphan and a misfit, Lily would love nothing more than to be the Ch... read more
In a high-tech winterland, 13-year-old Corbin accidentally causes his widowed mother, Zara the Guardian, to be sucked into the Dreamstone, a 12-inch crystal that has power over people’s nightmares. Terror strikes when Gol is invaded by SnowLanders led by the traitor Ripho who seizes the Dreamstone, kidnaps Gol’s children as ransom against an uprising, and vanishes into the Snow Mountains. Corb... read more
When 17 year-old Callie’s life is suddenly cut short, she “wakes up” ABOVE, and soon discovers it’s not exactly what she expected. Still reeling from the fact that she is, in fact, no longer living, Callie learns that she’s also part of a select group of recently-passed teens fated to become Guardians. Not only does Callie have to go back to school - Guardian school - her dead grandmother happ... read more
Winner, Mom's Choice Silver Award With colorful illustrations and fact-filled diagrams complementing the adventure, this picture book tells the story of how Peter and his friends help Mr. Ogilvy rediscover forgotten belongings in his shed. They help him organize and distribute the unwanted stuff to reuse centers in the community, learning the many ways and benefits of reusing. The children hav... read more
Reedsy is a community of top publishing professionals. Join Reedsy today to browse 1000+ profiles.
Professional editor to top-tier authors, including George R. R. Martin, Terry Brooks, Blake Crouch, and romance great Connie Brockway.
Literary agent turned publishing consultant, specializing in memoir, travel/adventure, popular science, and other stories strange and true.