I’m an experienced editor of academic, non-fiction and illustrated content (print and digital). I provide development editing, copy-editing, proofreading and project management services.
Over the last seven years I've worked at Thames & Hudson (humanities), Lund Humphries (art), Bloomsbury Publishing (visual arts) and SAGE Publications (social sciences).
My areas of expertise include: architecture, art history, artist monographs, design, film, illustration, media and cultural studies, philosophy, photography, politics and sociology. My work is informed by my passion for these subjects.
• Project managed highly-illustrated academic textbooks on classical studies and archaeology through editorial, design and production stages.
• Copy-edited and proofread manuscripts, liaising with authors to resolve editorial queries.
• Took in proofreading corrections on live InDesign files.
• Briefed and managed freelance copy-editors, proofreaders, picture researchers and designers.
• Assessed and prepared layouts.
• Copy-edited online resources, including PowerPoint slides, class exercises and student quizzes.
Freelance development editor, copy-editor, proofreader and project manager. Specialise in academic, non-fiction and illustrated content (print and digital) across the arts, humanities and social sciences.
• Project managed highly-illustrated academic art books through editorial, design and production stages.
• Compiled and updated production schedule for each book.
• Managed agreed budgets and recorded all editorial and production costs.
• Commissioned, briefed and managed freelance copy-editors, proofreaders, indexers and designers.
• Prepared texts and images for design.
• Circulated and checked book layouts, then collated all feedback for designer.
• Checked and colour corrected high-res proofs.
• Checked final plotter proof, folded and gathered sheets and advance bound copies.
• Liaised with authors, artists, galleries, co-publishers and freelancers at each stage.
• Liaised with repro houses and printers.
• Development Editor for highly-illustrated academic textbooks across visual arts subjects.
• Project managed approximately 15 books at any one time.
• Conducted developmental edit of draft manuscripts and prepared content for production.
• Commissioned and worked with freelance picture researchers.
• Briefed and managed freelance designers, and collated feedback on book layouts.
• Produced briefs for and provided feedback on cover designs.
• Copy-edited and proofread digital content for print books’ companion websites.
• Designed companion website structures and uploaded content to central CMS.
• Wrote copy for back covers, catalogues and corporate website, according to SEO briefs.
• Presented titles at sales conferences, briefing reps on key features ahead of publication.
• Assistant Editor for academic textbooks on media and cultural studies, politics, criminology and sociology.
• Prepared and formatted manuscripts for handover to production.
• Sourced and cleared permissions for images.
• Checked proofs and provided feedback on book layouts.
• Wrote and copy-edited blurbs for back cover copy, catalogues and corporate website.
• Supported authors throughout writing process and provided feedback on draft content.
• Developed book proposals with authors and commissioning editors.
• Presented book proposals to editorial board.
Thomas Hardy's architectural career is not considered a success. Seen usually as a mere prelude to his literary output, it is most often summed up by reference to the 'shockingly' suburban home he built himself at Max Gate. But in this new work, Professor Kester Rattenbury argues the opposite: that far from being incidental, Hardy's architectural thinking is integral to a full understanding of... read more
Since cinema's earliest days, literary adaptation has provided the movies with stories; and so we use literary terms like metaphor, metonymy and synedoche to describe visual things. But there is another way of looking at film, and that is through its relationship with the visual arts - mainly painting, the oldest of the art forms. Art History for Filmmakers is an inspiring guide to how images ... read more
Animation in Context is an illustrated introduction to cultural theory, contextual research and critical analysis. By making academic language more accessible, it empowers animators with the confidence and enthusiasm to engage with theory as a fun, integral, and applied part of the creative process. Interviews with contemporary industry professionals and academics, student case studies and a r... read more
Since 1997 Representation has been the go-to textbook for students learning the tools to question and critically analyze institutional and media texts and images. This long-awaited second edition:* updates and refreshes the approaches to representation, signalling key developments in the field* addresses the emergence of new technologies, media formats, politics and theories* includes an entir... read more
Understanding the Media
The original Handbook of International Relations was the first authoritative and comprehensive survey of the field of international relations. In this eagerly-awaited new edition, the Editors have once again drawn together a team of the world's leading scholars of international relations to provide a state-of-the-art review and indispensable guide to the field, ensuring its position as the pre... read more
Understanding Conflict Resolution
Research for Development This book offers a comprehensive guide to commissioning, managing and undertaking research in development work. Perfect for both students and practitioners. Full description
Reedsy is a community of top publishing professionals. Join Reedsy today to browse 1000+ profiles.
Copy-editor and proofreader with over ten years' experience, mainly in academic non-fiction, specifically international development.
New York Times-bestselling author. I love working with clients to extract their best stories and help them get published.