I am also a busy writing coach, helping physicians, healthcare professionals, and scientists enjoy the benefits of writing: relief from stress and burnout, greater perspective and empathy, heightened observation and curiosity, satisfaction, and the rewards of publication.
- June Roth Memorial Award in Medical Journalism, American Society of Journalists and Authors
- Two Minnesota Book Awards
- Annual Book Award, Medical Journalists' Association of the UK
- McKnight Fellow in Creative Prose
- Article of the year award, American Society of Journalists and Authors
- Past president and life member, American Society of Journalists and Authors
- MFA in nonfiction creative writing, Bennington College
Author and ghostwriter of books and more than 600 articles and essays. A teacher and presenter of writing programs at such institutions as the Mayo Clinic, the Association for Communications Excellence, the International Association of Business Communicators, the American Medical Writers Association, the American Psychological Association, the Congress of Neurological Surgeons, Yale University, the University of Pennsylvania, Tufts University, the University of Mississippi, Carleton College, the Library of Virginia, Stanford University, the University of Michigan, the University of Maryland, the University of Toronto, Cornell University, and many other venues.