I'm not totally sure how it happened, but apparently I have more than 20 years experience of primary and senior educational publishing! During that time I’ve worked for government and private industry across a wide range of subjects, year levels and resource types. So if you have a primary maths book, a senior history website, a teacher resource or a pupil book that needs some loving tweaking, let me put my experience to work for you!
Extensive experience of:
• editing, restructuring and rewriting copy to ensure it is appropriate for the audience and media, both on hard copy and using Microsoft Word’s tracking changes function
• working closely with writers to ensure content is clear, accurate and appropriately structured
• developing and applying style guides and working with project managers and clients to guide the editorial direction of project materials
• prioritising and coordinating workflow and managing my time to ensure deadlines are met and projects are completed on time and within budget
• developing and implementing procedures to monitor and report on workflow, including developing project schedules and creating tracking sheets to ensure projects can be simply and effectively managed
• liaising closely with internal and external stakeholders to ensure the best-quality product is delivered.
Although my most recent experience is in educational publishing, my early career was in magazines, something I loved. I'd be very happy to get back into sub-editing. And I'm very much open to expanding my horizons and exploring new opportunities. So whatever your project, however big or small, I'd love to hear from you.
• working closely with commissioning editors and freelance authors to develop briefs for a range of new titles
• reviewing manuscripts and providing feedback on appropriateness of content
• managing a team of freelance editors, proofreaders and typesetters and ensuring all deadlines were met
• advising on layout of books and finding and commissioning appropriate artwork
• editing and proofreading content and advising on possible amends to ensure content fits to pagination.
• delivering a range of new Key Stage 1 and 2 titles that were developed and produced within a very tight timeline
• building strong working relationships with a range of internal and external providers.
• overseeing the delivery of a suite of legal journals
• liaising with external journal editors, authors and freelance copy editors and ensuring deadlines were met
• editing and proofreading content
• uploading content to the company’s content management system
• learning the complex and detailed house style guide
• mastering coding – a completely new role for me.
• managing the workflow of a team of editors and formatters
• tracking where individual units were in the production process (there were up to 30 units in production at a time) and reporting on this to management teams
• recruiting and training new editors, monitoring their work and providing feedback
• working closely with members of other internal teams to resolve issues and ensure quality
• ensuring production timelines and targets were met
• advising key stakeholders on how to solve problems and improve processes
• editing and proofreading a wide range of print and online resources for students, teachers and public servants
• working with in-house and external writers to ensure all written content was as clear as possible and all illustrative material appropriate
• checking layouts and websites for accuracy and usability
• liaising with artists, designers, web developers, freelance staff and managers to ensure all project requirements were being met.
• delivering a large number of high-profile and complex ongoing projects on time
• building strong and productive relationships within my own team and with other key stakeholders
• overseeing the transition from print-based materials to online content
• juggling the requirements of multiple managers.
• copy editing manuscripts, checking facts and rewriting as required
• writing headlines, introductions and photo captions
• proofreading, checking and amending layouts and editing copy to fit design
• ensuring deadlines were met by external editors and in-house and freelance designers
• arranging and chairing meetings and liaising with clients and in-house departments
• handling general administration and ensuring that titles were produced within budget.
• Managed the delivery of a full-colour UK travel guide for people with disabilities. This involved working closely with the client and overseeing the project from initial copy to finished publication. Despite the complex nature of this new project, it was delivered on time and within budget.
• Being promoted to the position of Deputy Chief Sub-Editor, which involved managing staff, ensuring all deadlines were met and passing final page proofs to press in the absence of the chief sub.
• commissioning and writing articles
• conducting interviews and compiling news items
• editing and proofreading content
• liaising with, assisting and advising the design department.
• I initially joined this organisation as a secretarial assistant, but quickly moved into the role of editorial assistant and then editor with responsibility for all editorial matters.
• Implemented the transition from external typesetters to in-house formatting.
Use manipulatives 10 minutes a day with these simple at-a-glance activities! Just 6 weeks of these activities will give children a richer and deeper mastery of maths by demonstrating abstract ideas and core mathematical concepts in a variety of representations and problem-solving contexts. Use manipulatives 10 minutes a day with these simple at-a-glance activities! * Easy to implement activiti... read more
Take the core primary curriculum outdoors! This handy resource provides teachers with clear and practical outdoor learning ideas for maths and English learning objectives. It will ensure all lessons are purposeful and can be completed in school grounds and at minimal cost. Take the core primary curriculum outdoors! • Practical outdoor learning ideas for maths and English curriculum objectives,... read more
Promote mastery by making problem solving and reasoning a part of every maths lesson. • Hours of ready-to-go activities for every content domain• Teaching guidance and worked examples for each of the 11 strategies• Pupil friendly target sheet to track how you are promoting mastery Editable word files on the CD-ROM Promote mastery for all pupils by adding 11 key problem solving and reasoning st... read more
Kickstart confident spelling using these creative teaching ideas and interactive activities to establish key rules and patterns. Kickstart confident spelling using these creative teaching ideas and interactive activities to establish key rules and patterns. • Embed rules and patterns through purposeful games and editable worksheets• Engage pupils with interactive activities for your whiteboard... read more
Make a big impression on pupil progress with prompts, open questions and guidance for English and maths curriculum objectives. An ideal resource for Teaching Assistants, NQTs and class teachers who plan and deliver intervention, the extra questions and support will reduce the time spent planning and make sessions more effective. Boost the confidence of TAs and Classroom Assistants and make a b... read more
Clear guidance and creative activities in this pick-up-and-go resource help you to teach KS1 comprehension. Fully in line with the new National Curriculum. * Teaching notes, examples and photocopiable resources minimise preparation time. * Creative activities and games focus on using and applying knowledge to secure pupils' understanding. * An end-of-year test to assess pupils' understanding a... read more
Prepare children for the most difficult aspects of their reading test with comprehension exercises that concentrate on developing the key skills of inference and deduction. Prepare children for the most difficult aspects of their reading test with comprehension exercises that concentrate on developing the key skills of inference and deduction. • Set questions that gradually progress pupils’ sk... read more
Reedsy is a community of top publishing professionals. Join Reedsy today to browse 1000+ profiles.
Non-fiction editor offering extensive experience across a wide variety of arts, humanities, social sciences, and general trade lists.
I'm a publishing professional and content strategist with more than 20 years of experience, specializing in nonfiction publishing.