● Provided editorial oversight in screening, editing, shortlisting and publishing the best articles submitted by a global network of contributors.
● Experienced in the SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) for hundreds of articles covering a broad range of topics, which frequently featured top in Google News search rankings.
● Participated in regular creative sessions to further enhance the product and reader experience.
● Wrote featured articles on topics ranging from cryptocurrencies and blockchain to global affairs and financial markets, with many of my online journalism featuring prominently on Google News search results.
● Created content marketing strategies and executed these, focused on building the awareness and understanding of a start-up operating in the news media industry. This material included newsletters, articles, social media pieces and the company white paper.
● Provided editorial input on material designed to attract investors, including the initial investor presentation.
● Wrote grant applications for schemes in the millions of pounds, from both the UK and EU government.
● Had responsibility for production of over 200 titles a year, including Sociology, Language and Linguistics and Science and Society monographs.
● Implemented new XML-based production workflow across these lists.
● Managed a team of offshore editors, and oversaw manuscript editing.
● Responsible for providing assistance to copy editors, marketing and authors during production.
● Ensured promotional material was available for launches, production schedule was met and that deadlines were not missed.
● Facilitated communication between different departments, ensuring that projects were handled efficiently.
● Handled authors queries and issues, providing solutions and troubleshooting, throughout production.
● Managed post-submission workflow for academic monographs.
● Communicated with external vendors, including copy editors and printers, and with other internal departments such as Marketing, Editorial and Design.
● Introduced new tracking and quality checking procedure for new releases.
● Administered and tracked handovers of manuscripts from Editorial to Production.
● Monitored schedules and ensured projects with atypical print specifications were handled efficiently.
● Provided general support and assistance to other members of the Production department, including proofing cover copy, index approval and draft proofing.
● Involved with all areas of book production.
● Ownership of managing external contractors including printers, editors, translators, typesetters, authors, graphic designers, distributors and marketers.
● Developed release schedules and workflow schedules, and ensuring deadlines were met.
● Experience with managing the online profile of the company, including writing copy, editing and making sure copy was of a high standard.
● Had responsibility of proofing drafts, providing feedback and creating advanced marketing material for upcoming releases.
● Introduced ONIX metadata standard and establishing that standard for publications.
The Confines of the Shadow is a sequence of novels and short stories that map the transformation of the Libyan city of Benghazi from a sleepy Ottoman backwater in the 1910s to the second capital of an oil-rich kingdom in the 1960s. Employing a cosmopolitan array of characters, ranging from Ottoman functionaries, to Sanussi aristocrats and Italian officers, Spina chronicles Italy's colonial exp... read more
African Titanics is the untold tale of the African boat people and their desperate exodus to the merciless shores of the Mediterranean. The novel is one of fleeting yet profound friendships, perseverance born of despair and the power of stories to overcome the difficulties of the present. Alternating between fast-paced action and meditative reflection, the novel follows the adventures of Eritr... read more
Young Mukhtar is frozen in time, gazing at his beloved Fatma as she disappears into the streets of Tripoli, destined to a life of prostitution. Around these young lovers, Bushnaf weaves a compelling network of images: a litter-strewn park, a bewitching Italian statue and a fluttering red scarf. Through these images, imbued with social, historical and existential import, Bushnaf paints a dark p... read more
Othman al-Sheikh is running away from the shadows of his past life in a small dusty village in the Libyan Desert. Tripoli, meanwhile, is a city in the process of transformation, moulded to the will of its Italian colonisers. Its decadent entertainments and extravagant riches conceal an underbelly of abject poverty and ruthless plotting. Othman falls for the city and its temptations. With a nat... read more
Drawing on interviews and focus groups with young mothers and fathers, their parents and other relatives, this book provides a rich exploration of the experience of being a teenage parent now, and for earlier generations, closely examining teenage pregnancy and parenting in families where two or more generations have been teenage mothers. Brown also explores the cultural and social contexts of... read more
Based on a large action research project, this book elaborates on how genre-based pedagogy can be extended to engage non-English speaking background students in tertiary educational institutions to develop their academic literacy practice, using online resources.
This stimulating collection is the first to take on the issue of form and what it means to the future of scholarly writing. A wide range of distinguished scholars from fields including law, literature, and anthropology shed light on the ways scholars can write for different publics and still adhere to the standards of quality scholarship.
The British General Election of 2015 is a must-read for anyone wanting to know how the action unfolded in the most unpredictable election for a generation. Drawing on hundreds of confidential interviews with all the key players, it offers a compelling insider's guide to the election's background, campaign, and the results which led to the formation of the first majority Conservative government... read more
Reedsy is a community of top publishing professionals. Join Reedsy today to browse 1000+ profiles.
Kwame Dawes is an award winning editor and writer with over fifty books to his credit and years of experience as a literary editor.
Editor. 10+ years publishing industry experience including at Penguin Random House. Loves working with all authors across genres and styles