I started my career at a small literary agency where I read and evaluated a wide range of submissions across genres. While there, I developed strong instincts for how to assess material, and also provided notes for authors at various stages in their career. I then moved to Penguin Random House, where I worked as a member of the managing editorial department. My background in managing editorial makes me extremely attentive to detail and gave me experience both proofreading and copyediting. I also shepherded books through the production process and oversaw freelance copyeditors and proofreaders. Most recently I have worked in IP representation at a small film/TV management and production company, evaluating books for their viability in the highly competitive film/TV landscape and representing authors and publishers selling their titles to film/TV producers and studios.
Throughout these various stages of my career, I have developed skills that would be invaluable to any aspiring author: I have a strong understanding of every phase of the publishing industry and of the various trends and players. I am skilled at reviewing material and giving comprehensive notes, and have worked with writers throughout every stage of development.
I am friendly, communicative, and highly organized. I believe strongly in a collaborative working process, particularly when it comes to working with writers. I particularly believe in preserving the unique voice that every writer has within them: my goal is not to fix your writing, but to bring out the very best in it. I focus on detail and accuracy, as well as on the overall strength of the work.
My core areas of interest are literary fiction, historical fiction, young adult fiction, and memoir/personal fiction. I am particularly interested in helping underrepresented voices find their way in publishing, and championing diverse storytellers.
- Jeremiah Dalziel Prize for British History
- B.A, Bryn Mawr College
- MSc, University of Edinburgh
Penguin Random House
• Managed corrections and repackaging for the Vintage and Anchor Books backlist catalog
• Produced, copyedited, and proofread front and back matter for new and reissued titles
• Coordinated with editorial, production, and design departments to prepare titles for press
• Represent film/TV rights on behalf of authors and publishers, negotiate deals, and maintain
up-to-date knowledge of current and forthcoming titles, as well as industry trends.
• Serve as main liaison to clients, literary agents, publishers, scouts, and industry executives.
• Managed incoming and outgoing submissions of material. Research and track rights to literary
properties and write comprehensive coverage of incoming material.
• Evaluated proposals and manuscripts and provided reader reports
• Acted as liaison to authors, subagents, scouts, and editors
• Processed royalty statements, payment advices, and invoices
Emily has 4 reviews