A professional editor for over thirty years, I have edited books for Doubleday, Random House, Princeton University Press, Macmillan, Paulist Press, Prentice-Hall, State University of New York Press, Scholastic, Scholars Press, Praeger, Solution Tree Press, and many other publishers and private individuals.
Books I have edited have received publishing and professional awards, including the Independent Publisher's Book Award (IPPY), Foreword Magazine's Book of the Year Award, a Distinguished Achievement Award from the Association of Educational Publishers, and the V. O. Key Award of the Southern Political Science Association. For over seventeen years, I worked in-house as a senior editor focused on developmental and substantive editing.
With a strong academic background, a degree with honors from Brandeis, a graduate degree in history from Columbia, and experience teaching at both secondary and college levels, I am at home in the social sciences and humanities.
I have also edited important works in the self-help genre, including Radical Healing, by Rudolph Ballentine (Random House).
Many nonnative English speakers have turned to me to perfect their English written expression, and many authors have commented that working with me was an unexpected pleasure. As one was kind enough to write,
"You have incredible insight and you are kind and gentle with your remarks. You have been a solid support beyond what I expected from an editor. Thank you."
- 2014 LEARNING Magazine Teacher's Choice Award
- 2014 REVERE Award nomination
- 2013 Silver INDIEFAB Award for Education and 2014 Foreword Magazine Book of the Year nomination
- 2011 Distinguished Achievement Award from the Association of Educational Publishers
- 2009 Foreword Magazine Book of the Year Award
- 2021 Living Now Book Awards Winner
- 2020 Nautilus Book Awards Winner
- 2021 Next Generation Indie Book Awards Finalist
- 2020 Eric Hoffer Grand Prize Finalist
- Editorial Freelancers Association
- National Association of Independent Writers and Editors (NAIWE)
Edit primarily nonfiction; edit articles for UNESCO's education journal, Prospects
Worked on manuals for blood diagnostic equipment
Girl Scouts of the USA National Headquarters
Edited papers for the Girl Scout Research Institute
Wrote and edited manuscripts for LEADER magazine
Organized, repurposed, and edited content for the creation of the Online Council Network (OCN) website
Solution Tree Books
Developed and edited books for educators
Editor and Managing Editor of a monthly magazine, Darshan, with global distribution on subjects dealing with spirituality, yoga, and meditation
Edward has 30 reviews