You're an expert in your field, whether a specific subject area or as a business leader. You've completed at least a first draft of your book – what's next? Let's talk.
I love helping authors achieve the right style, accuracy and consistency within their work to bring it to a suitable standard for professional publication. And I'm the sort of person who finds fact-checking fun.
I have edited books of many kinds, on subjects from medieval swordsmanship to artificial intelligence, from gardening to forensic psychiatry. I bring the specialist skills of an expert copy editor to the generalist enthusiasm of someone who enjoys reading about almost everything.
As a copy editor, I will go into the details of your text rather than the overview and structure specifically, but I will always point out issues of that kind too when I come across them.
I've helped hundreds of authors like you make better books – and I regularly do the same on behalf of publishing companies who turn to me for help.
I do also have a personal specialism: British history and topography, and I'm the editor of two history magazines in those fields, as well as writing a popular history-themed newsletter.
If you are pursuing self-publishing, I can provide expert, up-to-date advice about your routes to market, and I have typeset hundreds of books to professional standards, so I can help with the bigger picture beyond just the editing.
I look forward to hearing about your book!
- Professional Member of the Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading (CIEP)
- Partner member of the Alliance of Independent Authors (ALLi)
– My past and present client list includes hundreds of authors and numerous independent publishers (eg Edward Everett Root, Byline Books, Watkins Publishing, Zed Books, Bodleian Library Publishing, Max Press, SRA Books, Hawker Publications, Discover Your Ancestors Publishing, NavyBooks, Trinity Mirror, StreetBooks), as well as other businesses looking to produce non-fiction books.
– I have almost 30 years' experience in book and magazine publishing.
– I have a personal interest in British history and am the editor of the magazines Discover Your Ancestors and Local History News, as well as writing a Substack history newsletter with thousands of subscribers (gethistories.com); in the past I have run magazines for Dennis Publishing and Future Publishing, among others.
The Right Book Company
Project management of business and self-books for award-winning publishing company, including copy editing, design and overseeing freelancers.
I have edited and typeset numerous books for Hawker Publications on subjects such as dementia care and health/social care, as well as helping to produce hundreds of issues of magazines, both as a designer and an editor.
Andrew has 3 reviews