Whether you need feedback on overall organization and the development of your text, or help preparing your manuscript to publish and you want to ensure it has that final polish, I offer my expertise. Some of my editorial strengths:
– Flexibility: While maintaining your unique authorial voice, I'll work with you to decide what level of editing is needed. I'll keep my edits light and focus on clarity, if that's what you'd like, or I'll roll my sleeves up and sculpt paragraphs, depending on your needs.
– Formal know-how: I can help you tighten up an article or a book-length manuscript, ensuring coherence, consistency, and flow in each.
– Feedback: Whether it's on the macro level (suggestions on how to better foreground your argument or main themes, perhaps) or on the micro level (punctuation and word choice), I'll offer my suggestions transparently and respectfully and work with you to make sure your writing remains your own and conveys your ideas in the best way.
I can also help with the nuts and bolts of a polished, professional book, including:
- Formatting and layout: I'll bring order to front matter, back matter, headers, footers, tables of contents, and all the rest.
- Style consistency: US or UK punctuation and spelling – I'm fluent in each.
- References and notes: Consistency is key. Over the years in academia and editing for academics, I've worked with them all – APA, Chicago, Harvard, MLA, etc. – and I respect the creative hybrids as well.
- BA in English and Creative Writing, Dartmouth College
- MA in Poetry Writing, Boston University
- PhD in English, University of California, Berkeley
Writer and editor for the university's external recognition and quality assurance efforts, I create and curate content for high-stakes communications and provide expertise in describing Capella's innovative competency-based education model. I created, maintain, and publish key internal style manuals and a guide for writing marketing copy about competency-based education.
University of Minnesota, Auburn University, Washington College, University of California - Berkeley
Designed and taught literature and writing courses: The Romantic Era, Mythologies of Nature (Sustainability Studies), Literary Laughter: A History of Satire.
I offer copy writing, product naming, editorial consultation, copy editing, and proofreading services for corporate, academic, non-profit, and individual clients and am conversant in a wide range of fields. Clients include:
– Routledge, Taylor & Francis, Ashgate academic publishers - I have copyedited over 70 scholarly books in the fields of history, philosophy, literary criticism, cultural studies, political science, international relations, religious studies, and sustainability studies, and I collaborate regularly with international authors and editorial teams
– AVEDA - copy writing and product naming
– Flourish design firm - AVEDA website copy writing and proofreading
– Fusion Hill marketing and design - Optum marketing proofreading
– Milkweed Editions - proofreading novels and creative non-fiction
– Bioversity International - researched and wrote an educational book about agricultural biodiversity
– Individual writers
I abridged business and management books for online publication.
Assisted Editor for writing and literature college textbooks.
Amy has 18 reviews