The shelves of books I’ve edited are mostly middle grade and young adult novels—from lush fantasies and intricately plotted mysteries to goofy classroom comedies—as well as picture books, chapter books, and graphic novels. I love children's books that don't underestimate their audience's intelligence, and that allow all kinds of young readers to feel seen. My authors’ books have been New York Times bestsellers, Edgar Award nominees, New York Times Notable books, and Junior Library Guild selections, and have earned multiple starred reviews. Nothing is more satisfying to me than helping writers radically improve their work while staying true to their voice and vision.
In addition to editing, I'm an adjunct professor in the book publishing program at Portland State University, where I teach graduate-level courses in developmental editing and YA publishing. To me, teaching and editing go hand-in-hand. I always hope that writers who work with me gain insight and tools that strengthen both their craft and their confidence.
"Abby is amazing. Her editorial notes are challenging and insightful, displaying a masterful command of character, plot, world-building, and everything in between. Every time I work with her, I learn things that improve not only the manuscript in question but future projects as well."
-Livia Blackburne, New York Times bestselling author of Midnight Thief
"Abby Ranger is simply one of the best editors in the business. Her creative insight, attention to detail, and unwavering support throughout the process is what every writer dreams of in an editor, and I am forever grateful for having worked with her."
-Gregory Funaro, New York Times bestselling author of Alistair Grim’s Odditorium
"I have worked with Abby at two different publishers, on two different series. In fact, it was the opportunity to work with her that drew me from one publisher to another. Abby knows how to sound those chords that are in your heart already. There are very few suggestions she makes that don’t resonate. She will be your partner in making your work the best it can be."
-Cinda Williams Chima, New York Times bestselling author of the Seven Realms and the Shattered Realms series
“I've had the great good fortune of working with Abby Ranger on three books over a period of several years. Besides her intelligence, experience, and levelheadedness, what I most appreciate is her sensitivity. She took the time to listen and to learn how to help me make the best choices for each book. Lucky the writers who get to work with her.”
-Linda Sue Park, Newbery Medal winning author of A Single Shard
I work with authors, literary agents, and children's book publishers on a freelance basis to make stories stronger. My services include manuscript evaluations, detailed editorial letters, constructive margin comments, query letter reviews, and editorial consultation tailored to clients' individual needs.
- Acquired, developed, and edited a balanced list of literary-commercial picture books and middle grade and young adult novels for HarperCollins Children's division.
- Select projects include Newbery Medal winner Linda Sue Park's acclaimed Wing and Claw series, Cinda Williams Chima's New York Times bestsellers FLAMECASTER and SHADOWCASTER, and Tom O'Donnell and Tim Miller's hilarious Hamstersaurus Rex series.
- Acquired, developed, and edited a balanced list of literary-commercial children's books and young adult novels for the Disney-Hyperion imprint.
- Select projects include Cinda Williams Chima's New York Times bestsellers THE GRAY WOLF THRONE and THE CRIMSON CROWN, Victoria Schwab's celebrated debut THE NEAR WITCH, and Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner's New York Times bestseller THESE BROKEN STARS.
- Provided editorial support to multiple senior and executive editors.
- Acquired and edited titles for the Scholastic Press imprint.
- Select projects include editing Maggie Stiefvater's SHIVER, a New York Times bestseller, and assisting on Brian Selznick's THE INVENTION OF HUGO CABRET, winner of a Caldecott Medal.