Export Options and Formatting
What type of files does Reedsy’s tool export?
Reedsy’s writing software exports files in the following formats:
- EPUB 3 (which work great on all major ebookstores)
- PDF (PDF/X-1a:2001 for print-on-demand)
Our EPUB 3 files are already compatible with Amazon’s Kindle Store, but we plan to provide mobi files as well so you can easily run tests on your Kindle device.
What trim sizes can I export my files to
Your book can be exported to a range of popular trim sizes:
- Trade: 6 x 9inch
- Digest: 5.5 x 8.5inch
- Reedsy standard: 5 x 8inch
- Pocket: 4.25 x 6.87inch
Can I customize what my export looks like?
Our export templates have been designed by professionals from the Reedsy community. These themes follow the industry's best practices, ensuring that your final copy is both formatted correctly and looks beautiful.
We currently offer three templates that allow you to customise your export:
- Reedsy: a modern theme typeset in Lato and Merriweather. Great for non-fiction.
- Classic: a traditional theme to give your book a professional edge. Typeset in Crimson, a beautiful old style type, inspired by the work of people like Jan Tschichold (Sabon), Robert Slimbach (Arno, Minion) and Jonathan Hoefler (Hoefler Text).
- Romance: this one is quite self explanatory! Typeset in Crimson, but with a decorative chapter title and ornament.
How do you make sure that the files are compatible with online stores?
We use EpubCheck, an open source tool to validate our EPUB files. Using EpubCheck, we ensure that your final product complies with standard EPUB 3 format specifications and the International Digital Publishing Forum’s guidelines. Your ebook will be stylishly formatted and it’ll perform well on any device. Don’t worry — we’ve tested our EPUB files extensively on real devices and we know it works!
How does typesetting in Reedsy’s tool work?
The beauty of Reedsy’s writing tool is that you don’t need to have a PhD in typesetting to create your beautiful book. The second you finish writing your manuscript, you can use our tool to export into professionally designed EPUB and print-ready PDF files. Our typesetting technology does all of the heavy lifting for you, placing each character on the page in its correct place. And our tool magically produces a PDF that is both effortless to read and complies with the industry standard style guides.
While it takes a very talented designer a couple of days to design a book in InDesign, it only takes a few minutes with our tool. Create chapters and parts, apply formatting by highlighting text, configure your front matter, then select a theme and you’re good to go!
Does Reedsy’s book writing software support images?
Of course! We accept PNG and JPG images. Our tool automatically notifies you if the images uploaded are too big or incompatible with some ebook stores.
Can you make non-reflowable (or fixed-width) ebooks?
Non-reflowable ebooks are usually built with a specific distribution platform in mind. Reedsy’s tool has been designed so your content adapts to the device it’s being used on.
One caveat: If you’re looking to publish an illustrated book and need more tailored options, we suggest that you work with a book interior designer or typesetter.
How long does it take to export files?
Once your manuscript is ready, all you have to do is configure the export:
- Configure your front matter: title, subtitle, ISBN, etc.,
- Add a cover. You can work with a cover designer on Reedsy’s marketplace if you don’t have one,
- Select the type of file you need (EPUB or PDF),
- Pick a template: 3 are currently available (fiction, non-fiction and romance),
- Hit “Export!”.
After that, just let the tool do the work. You’ll receive an email notification as soon as your files are ready. Depending on the options selected, this can take anywhere from a few seconds to a couple of minutes.
Holy smokes! I wound up with two PDF files, why is that? Is the world about to end?
Fear not! Our exporter gives you two PDF files:
- A print-ready PDF that removes links and uses CMYK images. This version is designed to be compatible with leading print-on-demand services,
- A standard PDF that’s great for digital viewing and for online distribution.