Experienced, encouraging developmental + copy editor to help you get one step closer to your publishing goals. Loves romance and mystery!
My mission is to help writers bring clarity to their manuscripts and make their work shine through detailed, insightful, and encouraging editing, while keeping true to their unique voices and remembering the reader on the other end.
"Shannon is AMAZING. From the very first contact to when she sent me her edits, she’s been a dream to work with. She went above and beyond to help me take my book to the next level. I found her edits and notes to be 100% on point, and more than once I said 'That’s it! That’s what I was missing.'” - Amy M.
Are you a writer who feels confused about your storyline and you just can’t look at it ONE. MORE. TIME? Or maybe you’re confident about the story, but know that grammar and punctuation aren’t your strength? Or are you looking for a new team member to support your writing career and to help you take things to the next level? If any of these are true, we may be the perfect fit!
As a traditionally published author in the romance genre, I know what it’s like to be an unsure new writer, as well as an experienced writer trying to up my game with each new book. Thanks to that experience, I can relate to my authors from a point of view of having "been there, done that." Additionally, I’ve worked with New York Times and USA Today Bestselling authors, as well as debut authors, both traditionally and self-published.
Whether you’re prepping for submission to agents or New York editors, or want to self-publish your book, I can help! My experience and eye for character and story issues can help you organize your story better, making sure you’re hitting all the plot points, and that your characters are consistent and believable. My eye for detail can help rid your manuscript of spelling errors, clarity issues, funky grammar, and typos (like the copy editor who saved one of my characters from receiving a “bouquet of floors.” Yikes!). My #1 goal is to make YOUR book the best it can be!
Here's what you’ll get from me:
* Honest but gentle feedback in my edits or evaluations. I love to point out the passages I enjoy as much as I do those that might need more work! Every reader needs encouragement! But I won’t BS you with fake praise either. If something is confusing to me as a reader of your book, it’s likely to be confusing to your future readers, too, and I’ll be sure to give you the opportunity to fix it.
* Respectful treatment of your work. I’m thorough, and I ask questions where clarity is needed, rather than just assuming. It is your work, your words!
* I work in Microsoft Word, using Track Changes for in-line editing. You’ll get lots of comments, with questions and suggestions. I’ll send you the marked-up copy upon completion, and you’ll always have the right of refusal if anything doesn’t fit your vision for your book!
* A Style Sheet of facts, names, locations, timeline tracking, etc. Anything that needs consistency will be tracked on the Style Sheet and provided to you at completion of the project. HINT: Bonus points if you can provide me with a Style Sheet that YOU kept during your writing process!
* If our project is an editorial assessment/manuscript evaluation (a super in-depth critique) or developmental edit (a deeper, more thorough edit, including in-line editing, along with higher-level story editing), you’ll get an editorial letter outlining any issues with the story that may need work.
* Prior to editing, we’ll talk about your vision and goals for your book, as well as anything you might see as weaknesses that I can keep an eye out for. It’s all about teamwork!
Whatever your needs are, don’t hesitate to ask. And, if you’re not exactly sure WHAT your needs are, let’s talk about it! I can help you determine what your next step might be and how to best go about it.
Hiring an editor is a big investment in your writing career, and I’ll do whatever I can to ensure it’s the best investment you ever make!
"Shannon's editing skills are spot on and her suggestions always make my writing better. As both a traditionally and independently published author, it's such a relief to have people I can count on who understand the business." - Teri Brown, author of Born of Illusion Series (Balzer + Bray)
"Shannon is a wonderful copy editor to work with. She's professional, timely, and easy to work with. More importantly, she can edit without editing out my voice. Her feedback was spot on, and exactly what the manuscript needed." - Erin Fleshman
As a freelance copy editor, I have worked with both newer writers and previously published authors to bring their books to life and get them one step closer to publication. This has included working with established publishing companies, such as Tule Publishing Group, as well as indie authors. I come with the unique perspective of being a traditionally published author in the romance/women's fiction genre. I provide developmental editing, copy editing, and proofreading...all while maintaining each writer's unique voice. My specialties include romance and women's fiction, as well as the mystery genre, but I have also edited extensively in the nonfiction realm, particularly lighter, self-help-leaning healthcare and business-related subjects.
Medical editor working on healthcare documentation in a variety of specialties for various hospitals throughout the U.S. and Canada.
Madeline Delarouse always thought growing old would take a lot longer. But when her adult kids move her into an upscale retirement community on the west coast of Florida, she fears her best days are behind her. That is, until her new neighbor is found dead - a golf club stuck in her head. Against the orders of her sarcastic son and exceptionally well-informed daughter, Madeline teams up with a... read more
Woodhouse et al., Mary, Pursel, Jach
Sehulster, Debbie, Iglesias, Javier
C Gilmani, March 2023
Gregory Newton Brown, March 2023
T.E. Harkins, March 2023
David McClure, February 2023
Heather Morrison-Tapley, February 2023
Reedsy is a community of top publishing professionals. Join Reedsy today to browse 1000+ profiles.
Editor with a decade's experience working with best-selling and award-winning authors at Farrar, Straus & Giroux and Europa Editions.
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Insightful, empathetic editor with 17 years of experience in a broad array of genres.
Toronto, ON, Canada