Whether you’ve written an article for a general audience or a meticulously referenced academic paper, I can help perfect your text so it’s ready for your target audience. I can guide you through the development of your ideas, edit your manuscript to ensure you’re saying what you want to say as well as possible, or give it a final proofread to polish your text before it’s published. I’m happy to delve into your text in detail or give it a short, pragmatic tidy-up, depending on your needs. I have experience of working with content (and reading for pleasure) on subjects from physics to fine art and biology to biography.
I’ve written chapters for high-school textbooks, so I have an idea of what it’s like to have your work edited, and I think this makes me a better editor – I can refine your text while respecting your author voice. Through my work as a commissioning editor and subject lead, I have a great deal of experience collaborating with authors to develop manuscripts, untangle ideas and work out how to structure text.
I can work with a variety of style manuals and referencing systems, and I can edit math-heavy text in MathType and LaTeX.
• Edited and proofread titles for clients including Pearson Australia, Lonely Planet, University of Western Australia Publishing and Institute of Physics Publishing, ensuring accurate, consistent, readable content for print and online platforms
• Science and education specialist, with additional experience in history, biography and art
• Wrote sales copy and compiled sales material for guidebook titles (Lonely Planet)
Coordinating Author, Pearson Heinemann Physics 11, 5th edition
• Writing chapter on the Big Bang and the Standard Model of particle physics
• Providing guidance on content, feedback to contributing authors, and ensuring consistency, accuracy and fit with curriculum
Subject Lead and Author, Pearson Queensland Physics 11 and 12
• Wrote chapters on electrical circuits and the Standard Model of particle physics, creating concise and engaging text to explain the physics concepts for senior students, and meeting the requirements of the curriculum
• Reviewed contributing authors’ text to ensure accuracy, compliance with brief, fit with curriculum and consistency across the books
• Created teacher support material and practice exam questions
• Worked closely with a diverse pool of authors and in-house stakeholders to get the best possible travel content
• Commissioned many high-volume, bestselling titles including India, Western Europe, Great Britain and France
• Managed projects through the research and writing process, developing and commissioning titles, and reviewing manuscripts