Hello! I'm Phoebe (she/her), a freelance creative best known for my award-winning picture book illustrations. Originally from New Zealand, I am now based in Los Angeles, California.
I illustrate full-length picture books for ages 3+, book covers, and chapter books for YA adult readers. I have experience in content that deals with difficult subject matter and emotions (Cleo & Rob 2019), as well as stories with a biographical or educational element (Taking the Lead 2020, Dinosaur Hunter 2019), and stories for young readers (The Adventures of Mittens 2021). I come from a family of scientists (botany, marine biology, psychology) and love to draw anything relating to animals, nature, science, and fantasy.
I have a Bachelor of Design with First Class Honours in Visual Communication, majoring in Illustration. Notable past projects include illustrating for NY Times best-selling author Helen Brown, and the picture-book biography of the New Zealand Prime Minister – Jacinda Ardern.
"I'm impressed to the point of oxygen debt with Phoebe's work. I know that Penguin NZ are as well; I've never heard a publisher squeak with excitement so much" — David Hill, Author, (MNZM)
“Her work for Cleo and Rob surpassed all expectations with its emotional depth and vibrant story telling." — Helen Brown, New York Times Best Selling author of 'Cleo'
"Bark, bark bark, grr bark bark bark" - Boris Morris, family poodle
- First Class Honours Massey University 2013
- Finalist Student Category, NZ Best Awards 2014
- Awarded Notable Book, Non-fiction category, Storylines Notable Book Award 2016, 2017, 2018, 2020
- Winner Children's Choice category, NZ Book Awards for Children & Young Adults 2016
- Finalist Elsie Locke Non-Fiction category, NZ Book Awards for Children & Young Adults, 2018
- Finalist Russel Clarke Award for Illustration category, NZ Book Awards for Children & Young Adults, 2018
- Highly Commended Best Children’s Book category, NZ Booklover’s Award 2019
- BDes (Hons) Visual Communication Design, Massey University, New Zealand
Since 2014 I have worked on illustrating a number of children's books for Penguin NZ.
This process involves collaborating with both author and editor. My role includes developing a full storyboard and text layout to accompany the written text, suggestions for pagination and pacing, submitting an initial scale draft for feedback, and rendering the final illustrations.
Projects include a series of biographical picture books about famous New Zealanders written by acclaimed kiwi author David Hill, a number of portraits for 'Go Girl', and a series of covers and internal spot illustrations for the 'Frankie Potts' series.