Lorae joined the Scholastic Australia team as a Children’s Book Editor in 2019, focusing on picture books, early readers, chapter books, middle grade and young adult novels, across all genres and formats. She is now a Commissioning Editor for the Scholastic Australia imprint, based in Sydney, NSW.
Prior to this, Lorae provided freelance editorial services both in Australia and Ireland, and helped found a publishing collective for editorial students to provide pro bono editing and e-book publishing services to new Australian authors. She mainly worked across adult fiction and business and science non-fiction books during this time. She has a Masters degree in Editing and Publishing.
Lorae takes a very collaborative approach to each stage of the editorial process, working with both authors and illustrators to make improvements that embody the tone and spirit of the work while meeting the needs of its intended audience. Her aim is to give creators the best editorial experience possible by bringing her love of and passion for books to each and every project.
- Master of Arts (Editing and Publishing) with Distinction
- Bachelor of Biotechnology Innovation (Honours)
- Ethics in Editing
- Professional Member of the Institute of Professional Editors (IPEd)
Scholastic Australia is Australia's largest publisher and distributor of children’s books.
- Project managing, including contracting and scheduling, a range of new publications across two imprints in both hardcopy and digital formats
- Assessing new manuscript submissions and foreign rights purchases for the Australian market
- Creating commission briefs for new publication ideas
- Editing manuscripts and layouts, including structural editing, copyediting and proofreading, with substantial experience in editing onscreen in MS Word
- Creating illustration, cover design and internal design briefs
- Working as part of a team, including creators, publishers, designers, logistics, printers, marketers and buyers, to deliver quality publications to schedule
- Experience in picture books, early readers, middle grade and young adult fiction and non-fiction
- Providing freelance structural editing, copyediting and proofreading services for various publication formats and genres for individuals and businesses
- Experience in business proposals, scopes and reports, academic textbooks and anthologies, and adult fiction and non-fiction
Black Phoenix Publishing Collective
bPPc is a publishing collective made up of editors, writers and book specialists.
- Project managing, including project acceptance, scheduling, resourcing and budgeting, a handful of carefully selected titles with an emphasis on Australian writers
- Editing manuscripts and layouts, including structural editing, copyediting and proofreading
- Working as part of a team, including creators, editors, designers, typesetters and ebook formatters, to deliver quality publications
- Experience in young adult fiction and adult literary fiction in digital and print-on-demand formats
Lorae has 1 review