Over the past 15 years I have worked with hundreds of authors to share their ideas, stories and knowledge with audiences through books.
As a developmental and copy editor I aim to make authors feel comfortable entrusting their work to me. As a published author myself I am aware of the love, time and sacrifice that goes into a manuscript, and while I will happily help you kill your darlings, I prefer to work with you to sharpen prose without erasing your voice or the heart of your work.
I'm also an eagle-eyed proofreader who can swiftly go through your manuscript as a final check before you begin submitting to publishers or exploring self publishing.
I work primarily on non fiction titles however also have some experience in children's books and women's fiction.
Working for an independent Australian publisher I wore many hats and worked across several areas including editorial, art direction, marketing and publicity, and sales, giving me a unique insight into the market, what store buyers and readers are looking for, as well as into the book production process. I finished at this publisher as Associate Publisher and am keen to share all that I have learned in sculpting great books with authors.
As we distributed our books internationally, primarily in the US and Canada, and the UK and Europe, I also have experience working on editing titles to suit various international markets, including different measurements for cookbooks, and spelling, grammar and general language.
Let's have some fun together and let me help you take your manuscript to the next level!
- Bachelor of Arts: Professional Writing, Deakin University
I run a freelance business that offers editorial services including proofreading, copy and structural editing.
I also do copywriting and content creation where I write engaging copy tailored to the client’s product, audience and voice. Copy is delivered as a Word document, uploaded to the client’s website, or delivered as part of a graphic package (e.g. flyers, postcards, digital and social assets).
I can confidently write across industries, from food packaging to film reviewing, and place a high importance on research, discussion with the client, and writing to an established style guide and voice or creating a new voice when needed.
• Successfully managed the publishing catalogue (on average 40-50 titles per year/ 4 per month) including commissioning books, editorial and art direction.
• Managed authors and designers to ensure projects ran to schedule and budget. Created agreements for authors, illustrators and agents.
• Developed and implemented new marketing and sales plans to budget and established new paid marketing partnerships and strategies.
• Created marketing content for sales teams and social media including flyers and graphics.
• Led the Australia and New Zealand and United States and Canada markets sales meetings including preparing advanced information material and presenting to the sales representatives.
• Oversaw printing (Australia and Hong Kong), shipping, stock management and distribution including invoicing.
Jess has 18 reviews