I offer clear, actionable editorial feedback on your manuscript. I can promise you that if you do the work, you will complete the best book that you are capable of writing, and one you will be proud to share with readers, agents, and editors.
🔥 Having clarity on the architecture of your story.
🏹 Identifying a cause-and-effect trajectory and a clear emotional arc for your protagonist(s), or narrator(s).
🔮 Knowing that your reader will have to turn the page to discover what happens next.
💎 Polishing your prose so that it showcases your story.
⚡ Understanding exactly where your book fits into the literary marketplace, and where to find your dream readers.
Join the bestselling and prizewinning authors I have worked with, request a quote for your project, and discover why my clients have described my feedback as "gold dust".
*Caleb Brabham, author of Godthread
"Laura is phenomenal. Her communication was consistent and uplifting - her edits were kind as well as informed. She grasped the concept of my niche genre work easily and added greater depth to it. I don't think I've met a better communicator. I look forward to working with her again."
*Stephanie E, author of The Clear Case
"Working with Laura was a dream. I've always wanted to work with a skilled and qualified editor, and she is that and more! She helped me make my book the best it could be."
*Elizabeth Macneal, author of Sunday Times bestselling novels The Doll Factory and Circus of Wonders:
“Laura was absolutely pivotal to the development on my writing, and I do not believe I could have conceived of, or written, my novel without her support, guidance and advice.”
*Matilde Pratesi, shortlisted for the Caledonia Novel Award for Pig
“My self-confidence has grown as much as the quality of my writing during this process. I can finally call myself a writer without blushing!”
*Sarah A. Denzil, million-selling crime fiction author of Find Her and Little One:
“I really enjoyed working with Laura. In particular, I enjoyed our Zoom call to discuss the direction of the book. I was at a point where I was stuck and wasn't sure how to fix the plot holes in the book. Talking it through with Laura really helped me get out of that issue. Many thanks, Laura!”
- K Blundell Trust Award, 2019
- Shortlisted for the HRF Keating Award, 2019
- Shortlisted for the UEA Innovation in Teaching Award, 2018
- PhD in Creative Writing, University of Sussex
- MA in Creative Writing, University of Manchester
UEA, Birkbeck, Sheffield, Sussex, Edinburgh Napier, York St John
I teach on the Novel MFA at Birkbeck, University of London.
I helped to develop the Creative Writing MA in Crime Fiction at the University of East Anglia as a writing fellow, lecturer and course director.
I have taught on Creative Writing MA and BA programmes at the Universities of Sheffield, Sussex, Edinburgh Napier, and York St John.
I work as a freelance editor on crime and thriller fiction, and crime narrative nonfiction. I offer 1:1 book coaching services, and strategic consultation packages for traditional and indie authors. My clients have included:
- Sunday Times-bestselling authors Elizabeth Macneal and Harriet Tyce
- Bath Novel Prize-winner Kate Simants
- Critically-acclaimed memoirist Helen Jukes
- CWA Dagger-winner Trevor Wood
- Little Brown Award-winner Femi Kayode
- Dylan Thomas Award-shortlisted novelist Alys Conran
- Saboteur Award-winner, novelist, and nonfiction writer Naomi Booth
- Historical novelist Natalie Marlow
- Novelist and nonfiction writer Niamh O'Connor
- Caledonia Novel Award-shortlisted novelist Matilde Pratesi
- Author, audio dramatist, and critic May Ngo
Laura has 63 reviews