I have over ten years of industry experience as an in-house designer at a major Canadian book publisher. I know the tips of the trade like the back of my hand, but I also have a great respect for every author that is undertaking the self-publishing journey. I'm excited for you, and I want to help you make your project look awesome!
I am an art director and a seasoned book designer with over ten years of experience and more the 700 books under my belt. I have worked on a wide range of projects, from complex textbooks to well-crafted novels. I am a typography enthusiast, and I keep an eye on current design and market trends. I know how to design a book that targets the right audience, stands out on the shelf, and speaks to the quality and attention to detail that has been invested into your project.
Fulfilling the client's vision and meeting or exceeding expectations are imperative to me: I take the time that is needed to fully understand the project's scope before I launch into the design. I also draw on my extensive experience to bring to light new approaches that may not have occurred to the client. I am highly flexible, open to ideas, and committed to the timelines that my clients establish.
I also offer package deals if you are looking for one professional to design your cover, layout, epub and marketing materials. Please inquire within!
- CBC books best Canadian covers of 2015
- OCAD Certificate in Digitial Media Studies
- Ryerson Publishing Certificate
- Concordia Bachelor of Fine Arts
- Designing book layouts for complex, image-based books as well as novels and everything in between
- Designing beautiful covers for novels, young adult books, mysteries, business guides, etc
- Creating graphs, charts, and other interior illustrations
- Designing epubs in a wide range of formats from simple, reflowable text to complex, fixed layout designs
- Consulting and advising authors on industry standards and best practices
- Overseeing the design of 75-100 books per year, and ensuring a standard of beauty and quality across the board.
- Commissioning illustrators and designers for individual projects and series
- Relaying with authors and ensuring that they are happy and confident their books are in the best hands
Laura has 102 reviews